A couple of ?'s

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/09 11:02 pm - LA
So I've been doing a good bit of cardio, But I really want to work my theighs more and I want to do more with my stomach and my arms..... any tips? I go to the Y and I dont know how to use any of the machines in there, ha... I'm a work out dummy so to speak.  Plus I have a few restrictions as to what I can do work out wise since I broke my C2 last year and my back... so I'm not supposed to do much over 20lbs...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated =]
Mifiremedic
on 1/1/09 11:16 pm - MI
Jessica,

My suggestion would be that you get a couple sessions with a trainer at your gym. Ask other people at the Y who the trainers are, and what they are like. Be sure to find someone who will give you what you need.

That is the best way to learn the machines.

Curt
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/09 1:32 am - LA
Thanks Curt! I want to ask the trainers there, but I'm scared to let them know about my injuries, haha, scared they will kick me out! I broke 18+bones last year all together. But I really want to work out more than just on the treadmills, bikes and olypitcals or h/e you spell them.

Looks like I'm going to have to take a day off and meet with them one day and *pray* they dont boot me out of there!
Mifiremedic
on 1/2/09 1:49 am - MI
I'm not a betting man, but I'd you'd be just fine working with them. I cant think of a reason why they'd boot you out (Unless your the roudy type).You wont be the first person with a C2 Fx to work with a personal trainer.

Be up front and honest with them, and everything will be just fine. Work within any restrictions that your phycision may have you on.

Curt
Linn D.
on 1/2/09 1:43 am - Missoula, MT
I agree with Curt on asking a trainer for some instruction.

I work in a gym, and some of our trainers can work with people with special needs, and some can't.  It all depends on the training they've had.  Do ask around and find one who can work with you.

Another option would be to check with a physical therapist about appropriate exercises for you.  I assume you saw one after your back and neck injuries, and if you trust them, I'd certainly ask.

Those are my only suggestions.

Linn
Mifiremedic
on 1/2/09 1:50 am - MI
Wow. I must be doing pretty good if your agreeing with me..haha
stellalukin
on 1/2/09 1:52 am - Cambridge, MA
Jessica- I have a broken L4 (rollerblading accident), which has put some restrictions on what I can do training-wise. Before I started working with weights, I checked in with my back surgeon. I also see a trainer who has done great things with modifying certain exercises to suit my injury.

"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

(deactivated member)
on 1/2/09 2:31 am - LA
Thank yall so much. I pretty much broke everything so I do have to be a little careful, but they are all good and healed except the c2 which healed incorrectly. I'm going to take off of work so I can meet with the trainer. I was just scared they would think I broke too many bones 20 months ago and wouldnt want me working out there is all! I've become addicted to working out, seems as if my food addiction has turned its ugly self into other addictions....
kypdurran
on 1/2/09 5:37 am, edited 1/2/09 5:37 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Jessica.   Everyone was right on in suggesting a trainer.  The benefits are they can put you on a set routine and training schedule which will prevent overtraining and most importantly, they will show you proper lifting technique.  Which Y do you workout at in BTR?   I have two friends that train clients at the Manship and one other location. 

BTW Hargroder did my surgery too.   Great doc but the staff has gone from outstanding to questionable lately.    I saw you posting on the LA forum about the support groups.   I haven't been in awhile but I was planning on going next week to check out the new location in Prarieville.   Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the info / location of where it will be when the weekly meeting email goes out.

Chad
www.team464.com

Most Active