2009 Race Plans

Mifiremedic
on 12/30/08 11:27 pm, edited 12/31/08 12:10 am - MI
Well I am extremely bored here at work. There is pretty much no one working this week, and I have gotten mos tof my work done or I cant complete because it requires others input.<br />
<br />
Anyways. How about let everyone know your plans for 2009. Will you be doing any 5ks, 10K, Half Marathons, Full Marathons, Sprint Triathlons, Olympic Triathlons, Half Ironman, Full Ironman, bike century, etc?<br />
<br />
Maybe hearing everyone's plans for 2009 will motivate some others to stretch their comfort zone and challenge themselves.<br />
<br />
Curt
Mifiremedic
on 12/30/08 11:33 pm - MI
Might have been nice for me to answer my own question.

April 25, 2009- I am planning to do the Borgess "Run for the Health of it" Half Marathon.

May 16, 2009- I will be doing my first Olympic Triathlon, looking at Pokagon Triathlon.

May 30, 2009- I will either be doing another Olympic or a Sprint Triathlon at the Seahorse Challenge in Climax (Shhhh).

July 5, 2009- Will be my tune up for the Half Ironman. I will be competing in the Fifth Third Bank Triathlon which is a Sprint, but in the exact location as my HIM.

August 1, 2009- Will be my 40th Birthday, and will be taking on my first Half Ironman and it will be at the Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon.

I am planning on doing a few other sprints as well as some local % & 10K races, but the schedules arent out yet.

Elisa K.
on 12/31/08 1:20 am - Lumberton, NJ
Hey Curt - Happy New Year!!  I am also stuck at work, not wanting to actually do any work - LOL!!

So far, I am doing a 5K on 2/1 - that will be a cold one!!

I am also planning on doing the Broad Street Run in Phila on May 3rd.

I am seriously considering training for the Phila. Marathon in November.  I just started the first part of a two part marathon training program.  The first part is a mileage buildup - lasts 19 weeks, with the longest run being 10 miles (perfect for the Broad Street Run - and ends just in time!!).  Then the second part is the actual marathon training.  I guess we'll see how I am doing at the end of part one.

I plan on doing at least one race (5 or 10K) per month.  Just waiting for the registrations to open!!

Mifiremedic
on 12/31/08 2:00 am - MI
Elisa,

Great plan for your 2009 year. I would be willing to wager that you will be more than ready for each of your races if you stay focused and continue your training. On race day, most people do better than they expected.

Keep us updated on your races.
Elisa K.
on 12/31/08 2:38 am - Lumberton, NJ
Thanks Curt!!  Best of luck in all your races!  I think its awesome you are doing the Half Ironman on your 40th birthday - what a way to celebrate!! 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/31/08 1:31 am - Fort Worth, TX
Bey Bro,

Here is my schedule for 2009...

February: 26.2 Fort Worth Cowtown Marathon

March: Sprint Triathlon

April: Having our 3rd baby

May: Orlando, FL. 70.3 Half Ironman

June: Lubbock, TX Buffalo Springs 70.3 Half Ironman

July: Olympic Triathlon

August: Louiseville, KY 140.6 Full Ironman

September: Augusta, GA 70.3 Half Ironman

October: 70.3 Austin, TX Longhorn 70.3 Half Ironman

November: No races scheduled yet

December: 26.2 Marathon "Run The Rock" Dallas

I have a couple other sprint tri's I am looking at for transition work, but that's a big schedule next  year, hopefully this time next year I will be alive to tell about it. My Surgeon believed in me and my story enough to sponsor me for ALL my events next year so I am registered and am ready to rock and roll! Take care.....

-Dan
www.trimywill.com

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Mifiremedic
on 12/31/08 1:40 am - MI
Dan,

You seem to have a big year ahead of you. I am confident that you will succeed in anything you try.

That makes two of us, hoping to be able to about our tri year, a year from now. Looking at my schedule, its a big leap from my previous two years of races, but with the proper nutrition and training, I should be just fine.

Its funny you mentioned sponsorship. I found a group who will find sponsorship for people doing races if they will try raising money for Downs Syndrome. My 14 y/o daughter has Downs and have always thought it would be a great cause to race for. Sounds like a great gig, but I always thought sponsorship was for those pro athletes. I guess I was wrong. If I may ask, what kinds of things do you get for sponsoring your Surgeon?

Liek I siad earlier, I will be at Louisville and I will buy the first drink.. I want to witness a full IM, and watching a "buddy" is a bonus.

Curt
Kevin A.
on 12/31/08 2:34 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Hey Curt!!

I'm bored here at work too. I've been thinking what is going to be my new races for this year. I think I going to do a Tri sometime this year. But since I don't swim it will take alot of work for me to get ready. I thinking of joining a Tri club to learn from people that already done it before. Also to get a chance to train with other people with the same goals. I know I'll be doing some races sometime this year. But it more fun just staying trained to do a race at the last minute.

Happy New Year!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Mifiremedic
on 12/31/08 2:50 am - MI
Kevin,

Trust me, I am a long way from being anywhere near an accomplished swimmer. In fact, I am contemplating what kind of professional help to get for my inadequate swimming. The wife gave me permission to attend one of those weekend swim clinics, but I'm liking the idea of getting a personal swim coach, and it would be far cheaper.

I tried joining my tri club for their winter swim clinic, but I couldnt graduate from the "stupid" lane.

I also had the idea of doing some last minute races, but each time I was disappointed to find out they were full. So I missed out on a few last minute races.

I do like your idea of staying in race shape year long. Hopefully I will learn it this upcoming off season. Right now I am having to work off those dreaded "off season" pounds.

Take it easy....
Kirsten :-)
on 1/5/09 4:47 am - Agoura Hills, CA

Did you really say a "tri"???????????  Yay!!!!! 
Most Active