recumdent bike and exercise

dkrastins
on 12/27/08 9:30 am - Canada
i have a recumdent bike , but i can walk only 3 minutes, if i start out 5 min. on the bike, how much should i increase each day, and what exercise with weights should i do?  im 400 lbs and am desperate to make life long commetments please help, my health besides the weight is in excellent condition, have type 1 diabetis thats it thank you donna
Seht
on 12/28/08 3:22 am
I wouldn't push for an increase every day, I'd push for an increase each week.
If you have been able to do your 5 minutes each day for a week, then increase it.

Normally I would say go for a 5-10% increase, That works out to an extra 15-30 seconds for ea*****rease.

Eventually as things get easier for you, and you build up some strength and endurance, you can chose to give yourself bigger increases/challenges.

The other thing you can do is switch up your routine.  1 week work on distance, the next week work on speed.  They will both give you different results from your workout.  You don't have to add time to your workout, you can add intensity.  So if during your 5 minute ride you cover 1/2 - 1 mile then the next time try to get 3/4 - 1 1/4 miles in the same amount of time.

Good luck with your workouts.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

dkrastins
on 12/28/08 5:57 am - Canada
hi Scott
thank you for your great info, i didn't understand the intensity you are saying, i don't know how to mes sure miles on my bike, but speed I'm at is 09 right now thank you can u please explain what speed to increase my intensity......thank you donna

dkrastins
on 12/28/08 6:25 am - Canada
http://www.obesityhelp.com/shared/flash/WeightHistoryChart/WeightHistoryChart.swf?username=dkrastins"> name="quality" value="high"> http://www.obesityhelp.com/shared/flash/WeightHistoryChart/W eightHistoryChart.swf?username=dkrastins" quality="high" width="585" height="360">
Seht
on 12/28/08 6:31 am
Intensity is how hard you work.

So if you normally ride at setting 9 for 5 minutes, you can change your exercise a few ways.
you can either ride on setting 9 for 6 minutes which is working on edurance.  Or you can make your setting harder and do setting 10 for 5 minutes.   Is your recumbant bike a stationary bike, or do you ride it on the street?  You can get a speedometer for your bicycle and it will tell you how fast you are going.  So today you ride 1 mile in 5 minutes, tomorrow you try and ride the same mile but do it in 4 minutes.  That's what I was referring to when I said to increase the intensity.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

dkrastins
on 12/29/08 1:31 am - Canada
hi Scott yes its a indoor sit down bike thanks
Most Active