Need advice for a beginer

Rick_SoCal
on 12/19/08 2:50 am - Fontana, CA

Greetings all,

I need some advice on how to begin slowly and work my up. I am very close to getting my surgery scheduled but having issues losing the 10 pounds that my doctor requested. I have over 200 pounds to lose after the surgery,

I have been very inactive for several years now and I tried doing the protien drinks as replacement meal for breakfast and lunch forn the day. To my shock, after doing this for about three weeks I gained 5 pounds.

The doctor reccomended that I start some sort of exercise program even if it was just lifting small weights just to get my arms moving. I blew my knee out about a month ago and that is making even simple walking a chore.

Any ideas?????

Linn D.
on 12/19/08 11:10 am - Missoula, MT
Rick,

What's the possibility of making it to a pool?  There are lots of exercises you can do in one place, it's much easier on the joints, and it's pretty easy to get your body moving and your heart rate up.

Another thought is one of those hand cycles.  They get your heart moving and would get some arm toning in as well.

Those are my only thoughts right now considering your mobility problems.

Linn
deb C.
on 12/19/08 9:32 pm - Lake of the Ozarks, MO

It's hard to describe rrange of motion activities in words on-line.  trygetting a DVD of chair exercises off of e-bay. 

Hugs,

Deb

Rick_SoCal
on 12/20/08 3:30 am - Fontana, CA
Thanks everyone for the ideas...I actually went to  a LA Fitness center here locally and discovered they have a heated indoor pool and several other facilities that would be good for my needs and I can progress as needed after my surgery.

Thanks again

Rick
Most Active