Fueling during marathon training?

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/08 11:52 am - So. Cal, CA
I am a currently training for the Los Angeles marathon and I have a question about fueling during my training.  I had RNY in July.  I have not experienced dumping nor do I plan on it.  LOL!  I pretty much stay away from anything that has more than 10 to 12 grams of sugar.  I am having a hard time finding something to fuel with during my training.  I have tried the GU and it made me run to the bathroom.  I have tried the Luna Moons and I was fine.  However, the coach said that is really not enough for me.  I have also tried the Cliff Shot Blocks and they were fine.   I am going to try Carb Boom this weekend, but I wanted to know what everyone else uses to stay fueled. 

Thanks,
Lola
Scott William
on 12/18/08 1:37 pm
With most everyone but especially WLS post-ops I think it is really trying a lot and seeing what sticks.  I plan on bringing ham wraps with me because I have discovered that they don't send me to the bathroom in a sprint.  Even powerade gets to me around mile 14 or 16.  At least I know there are bathrooms every mile or so at Disney.  You do need carbs though.  Even slices of bread may not be a bad idea.  Those types of food don't obsorb very quickly though.  Last year I did the Disney marathon on powerade, water and one granola bar.  Again, there were stops but I factor that into the time now.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/08 1:53 am - So. Cal, CA
Scott,
Thank you for the reply.  Do you do the Powerade Zero or regular Powerade? 

Lola
Sherry_Berry
on 12/18/08 7:37 pm - Dacula, GA
I have a stomach of iron. Until I hit the Ironman marathon, that's the onlytime I have no CLUE what will stick. Past 2 were gatorade. 1st only coke. Yes, they serve coke in the ironman.

Ok, so I'm saying if the shot blocks work use those. repackage them in ziplocs.

Personally, I recommend AGAINST solid food. It will stick in your stomach.

I do well w/a custom drink called Infinit. If you call, Michael Folan is the owner and should be able to help you out.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/08 1:59 am - So. Cal, CA
Sherry,
Thanks for the response.  I actually like the Shot Blocks, they are yummy.  LOL!  Do you think that they have enough to get me through a marathon?
Lola
Rob S.
on 12/18/08 8:15 pm - DE
Dumping is not a planned event, but you never forget your first one.

You don't need to worry about anything other than water until you exceed about 90 minutes of running.  For longer runs, I have been using the Sport Beans for awhile now.  They tend to work fairly well.  I plan on taking several packs down to Disney and having my spouse hand me a few more at mile 20.  At the Disney Marathon and The Virginia Beach Rock-n-Roll they also hand out Cliff Bars.  They have a high sugar content but sometimes running can compensate for the sugar.  I try and stay away from things that are going to linger in my stomach too long.

Try some of the sport drinks that you know will be available at the race you are attending beforehand so you know how you know the kind of reaction you can expect.

Good luck.
Rob
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/08 2:03 am - So. Cal, CA
Hello Rob,
Thanks for the reply.  I know dumping in never planned, however I am trying very hard for it not to happen.  LOL!  A girl can dream right?  I guess I just gotta keep trying different things.  It just sucks when you are out there run with no bathrooms in site for miles when you got to get to the bathroom and get there fast.  It is a crappy feeling. 

Lola
Linn D.
on 12/18/08 11:59 pm - Missoula, MT
I just want to say that I've never found anything that works especially well for me.  I do know that I have to stay away from Accelerade and that anything solid in my tummy makes me nauseous.  Cliff Shots are better for me than the Power Gels, but both still send me to the potty. 

You will find as you train, that carbs are necessary.  You absolutely need them - during long runs for fuel, AND after workouts for recovery.

My best distance isn't a marathon, but since I did my first last year, I'd like to continue doing one a year.  I just think it's great endurance training.

Linn
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/08 2:08 am - So. Cal, CA
THank you Linn!  I find that the gels run right through me.  I will keep trying new things and if I find something I like, I will let you know.
Lola
Kevin A.
on 12/19/08 12:09 am, edited 12/19/08 12:10 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Hey you!!

How far are you running this weekend? I found that Sports Beans and Accelerade work best for me. I try not to eat too much or solid foods. They seem to slow me down. Have fun Saturday and tell coach Scott hi!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active