DO I HAVE TO HAVE SURGERY TO BE ON THIS BOARD????

dkrastins
on 12/18/08 11:06 am - Canada
HI  my name is Donna and i weigh in at 400 lbs, but not having surgery, i need some info about doing exercises at home, i need something that's going to burn fat and make me sweat, i have weights, stationary bike, and i can walk for 3 minutes, please help me thank u Donna, i am 53 and have type 1 diabetes

Scott William
on 12/18/08 1:48 pm
Hi Donna:
This is Obesityhelp not weight loss surgery help.  Welcome.  I don't think there are any other non-ops around but you can be the first.

This board seems to be geared to people who have had the surgery and are itching to tear out and conquer their world through exercise.  Many of the goals are triathlons, road races and biking.  Many also spend time in the gym working with weights.

Obviously I wouldn't want to tell you to do something that a doctor would object to so keep that in mind.

If you can walk for 3 minutes, perhaps you can try to stretch that over time.  Could you walk away from your house for perhaps minute and a half and back for a minute and a half and maybe next week you can do two minutes out and two back.  The following week you could do two and a half out and the same back.  Over the course of a few months you may be up to 10 or 15 minutes.  I would concentrate on gradual increases in duration and intensity. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 12/18/08 11:26 pm - Missoula, MT
Hi Donna,

I'll start off by saying I agree with Scott and will add that the biggest thing for you to do, in my opinion, is to set aside a time dedicated to an exercise program.  Anything you do that is movement and gets your heart rate up is good.  Walking truly is the best exercise to start with, but the bike is good also.  Just do what you can to begin with and work up slowly.  You don't want to do too much too soon and risk injury.

If you have any interest in a gym, water aerobics is a good way to go also - less stress on the joints as you exercise.  I see a lot of larger ladies in the pool at my gym and it keeps them able to exercise.  They don't all lose weight, but they all improve their strength and fitness enough that it makes their daily lives much easier.

Start slow and build up as you can.  All of us on this board had to start by taking that first step - just like you.

Here's to finding that thing that works for you!

Linn
Seht
on 12/18/08 11:39 pm
The best exercise is one that you will continue to do.  Like Scott said, gradually increasing your walking is a great way to start.
You said you can walk for 3 minutes, how about the stationary bike you have, how long can you ride?  Is it possible for you to do both of them?  Go for your walk, then come back and ride the bike for another 3 minutes?  Or can you take several 3 minute walks during the day?

If you are successful after 3 days of 3 minute walks, try increasing your time by small incriments, maybe 5-10%.  When you can do that for 3 successful sessions, increase it again.

If you have something you like to do, like shopping, try doing some of your walking there at the mall, it will seem less like exercise.  Exercise for exercise sake can at times seem tedious, but if you can incorporate it into another activity, you often won't even notice you have done it.  When I can distract myself from the exercise, I find that I often accomplish more than I had initially intended.

Good luck with finding something that works for you!

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active