What kind of bike should I get?

MacMadame
on 12/15/08 1:21 pm - Northern, CA
So I want to do a triathlon this Spring. But my son borrowed my mountain bike and got it stolen so I have no bike.

Now I'm trying to decide what kind of bike to buy. I was thinking about getting a hybrid so I could do regular triathlons and MTB ones but the race I was looking at is very specific that you have to have a MTB frame and tires. Also, it's a bit intimidating to train for both mountain biking racing and a triathlon so I'm thinking maybe I should stick to road racing for now.

Then, to further through a spoke in my wheels, I found out they make bikes specifically for triathlons. But they are expensive.

So now I'm torn. Any advice?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

victoria R.
on 12/15/08 7:35 pm - goose creek, SC
Hi
I'm training for my first triathlon as well.  I have yet to get a bike and I really don't want to spend more $ than I need to being it may be my first and last triathlon.  My tri trainer is going to take me to a bike store (she knows the owners) and we are going to look at some previously owned bikes. I'm hoping to find something that way.  You're right it's very ovewhelming that's why I'm having my trainer help me with the selection process.  How's your training going? 

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 12/15/08 11:14 pm - Missoula, MT
There are a few things to consider.

1. Are you going to mostly do tris that require an MTB?  Even here in Montana, most tris are done on the road, so a road bike makes more sense.  Around my neck of the woods, it's easier to rent an MTB than a road bike.

2. What kind of bike are you most comfortable riding?  I've ridden mostly MTBs, so the bike I bought has flat bars (like the MTB) but on a road frame.

3. How serious are you about getting into doing triathlons?  Most tri-specific bikes I've seen are VERY lightweight road-type bikes and most have aero bars.  If you're not used to riding hunched over, it'll take some getting used to.  Yes, they are expensive.  People spend thousands of dollars on them.  I may get one in a couple years.  The bike I bought last year cost me $600, and that seemed like a lot to me at the time.

Hope this helps you a little.  Have fun with your tri!  I really like doing them, in fact, registration opens Jan 12 for the one I want to do in April (repeat of my first ever last year).

Linn
MacMadame
on 12/16/08 2:01 am - Northern, CA
Well I'm not spending more than 1,000 on a bike no matter what. So I guess the triathlon-specific bikes are out.

My bike friend thinks I should just get a road bike. He's probably right.

For my training, I'm not really sure how it's going as I have no idea what I'm doing. I know my running is weak, so I'm doing the Couch-to-5K program and it's been going pretty well. My heart rate isn't spiking up during the running nearly as high as it used to even though I'm putting the treadmill on a higher number than I used.

The intensity of my bike workouts has increased too.

Swimming is on hold. I almost joined a gym with a pool but then dh sprung the news that our property taxes are due and he forgot to save for them. So we have to wait until we straighten that out or the money has to spring up from somewhere.

I need to start going longer now, I think. I am only doing 30-35 minutes at a time because I workout at the gym at work and I feel compelled to either go back to work or go home and be with my family. But 30 minutes is too easy now and I need to build up my distances as well.

Sherry_Berry
on 12/16/08 9:57 am - Dacula, GA
Road bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

Were you planning on an xterra race?

Anyhoo-you have way more flexibility w/ a road bike. First, if you are an inexperienced rider, you have more control. On a tri bike the gears and brakes are separate. On a road bike, your shifters and gears are on the brake levers.

Also-a lot of people frown on tri bikes in organized rides.

I have a tri bike, sold my road bike...but I was doing Irondistance races. You're not allowed to draft...that's why the tri or time trial bike (same difference) is popular-puts you in a way more aggressive riding position!
MacMadame
on 12/16/08 12:37 pm - Northern, CA
I was originally going to do my first triathlon in May and the biking part was on a trail. Then I started to have second thoughts. It seemed like a lot to bite off for my first one.

So now I'm looking for a regular tri in that timeframe... in the SF Bay area, but the wider area. I'm willing to drive a few hours.

Any ideas?

Sherry_Berry
on 12/17/08 6:37 am - Dacula, GA
We have a multisport forum at kickerunners.com. If you register, put Tithers as your reference.

There is also beginner triathlete.com or slowtwitch.com (kinda meaner there...)

Anyhoo www.active.com has a nice searchable area for specific racese like running or triathlon...

There is way more usage of a roadbike for tris than a mtn bike. That said, I eventually want to try mountain biking, but I'm sure I'll break a collarbone or 4!
Seht
on 12/17/08 7:59 am
Where are you at, I'm up in Santa Rosa.

I have a hard time finding Tri's because I won't ocean swim (my loss)
However TBF (Total Body Fitness runs a lot of triathlons in the Sacramento and foothill areas.)
http://www.totalbodyfitness.com/

The first non ocean Tri of the year is in April
http://www.tbfracing.com/events/icebreakertri.html

They also run mountain bike Tri's Xtera competions there are several of them during the winter months.

Another place I like that supports No. Cal is
http://www.changeofpace.com/ncalifornia_triathlon_calendar.h tm

You will see a lot of the same links on both sites.

Good luck.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 12/17/08 10:43 am - Dacula, GA
If I'm in cali in the next few years I'm dragging your azz into half moon bay! Is that what it's called? PRETTY!
Seht
on 12/17/08 3:29 pm
Yes it is pretty, and not a chance in hell you are getting me into the water here.  Northern CA. is a great white breeding/hunting ground.  Not gonna happen.

Ha

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active