The longest 18 yet...

Rob S.
on 12/14/08 8:30 am - DE
Well this morning I set out early with my running partner for my longest run yet, as part of the training for my first marathon in January.  My cold has been hanging on for about two weeks, so I knew my breathing would be short and my nose would be running like a faucet but time is going quickly. It's funny how the first 8-10 miles is now pretty uneventful.  We kept a slow pace and my partner kept me from getting overstimulated and outpacing myself during the first seven miles. At seven miles, I took Tylenol to help keep the knees from getting too sore.  Also grabbed some sport beans and water.  We try and keep our breaks to less than 200 yards.  Off and running again we passed our local running store, and I was told to slow down since I was just trying to impress the store patrons (which was probably true).  We climbed a long street along the scenic chateau country in Delaware to get to mile 9.  We circled back and ran down to a local golf course.  At mile twelve, fueled again, and got back into the slow jog.  At mile 15 we were back in the city, and traffic started to get a little heavier.  We had to get off the street and run the sidewalks.  I hate sidewalks, because may of them aren't very well taken care of, and they aren't very level.  At mile 16 my hamstring started talking to me.  Since I answered back, I told the hamstring that I was not going to stop anyway so it might as well go back to sleep.  I fueled up, and got started right back up.  The last two miles my legs felt pretty heavy, and I felt like my pace was really slow.  We finished the 18 miles back at our cars.  We ran 18 miles in just under 3 hours 30 minutes.   My longest run so far.  I'm spoiled and don't expect to keep that pace at the marathon, cause my partner won't be running next to me.  Next weekend, as long my body recovers quickly, we run the last long run (20 miles).  I can't imagine it right now, although my legs feel great right now with no post-run strains at all.  After that run, two more runs of 12 and 10 miles and then I get to fly down to Disney and find out how far I can stretch myself.
Rob

victoria R.
on 12/14/08 9:17 am - goose creek, SC

Rob
You've been training so hard for Disney you're going to do great!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 12/14/08 10:09 am - Missoula, MT
Nice run, Rob!

I didn't make my long one yesterday - too many potty breaks in too few miles.  I'm trying again tomorrow.  I'll try for 20 but will be happy with 18. Mine's in January also, but I think a week before yours.

Here's to completing the training and a to good run!

Linn
MaryS
on 12/14/08 10:18 am - Long Island, NY
Rob,

It sounds like you are doing great. I can't wait to hear how the marathon goes for you.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Cassie W.
on 12/14/08 7:25 pm
Congratulations Rob on pushing through that 18-mile run.  You're going to have a great time in Disney.  Don't forget Disney has pacing teams, so though you won't have the familiarity of your running partner, you can hook up with a group of people and a pacing leader to help  keep you motivated and on pace.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Rob S.
on 12/15/08 2:46 am - DE
Thanks for reminding me about the pacing teams.  I just signed up for one of the Clif teams.  Give me a chance to meet some new people.  I'm more concerned with just finishing this first marathon and having fun.  Not worrying much about time.
Rob
Elisa K.
on 12/14/08 8:43 pm - Lumberton, NJ
That's awesome Rob!!  Sounds like your training is going well!! 

All this talk of marathons has got me thinking about the Phila. Marathon in November.  I'm seriously considering it - I even downloaded some training schedules. 
kypdurran
on 12/15/08 4:16 am, edited 12/15/08 4:16 am - Baton Rouge, LA

You're gonna do great Rob.   You've put the training in and the race merely the fun day to put it all together. 

I look forward to welcoming you to the "club". :)

Chad

Most Active