Out of the Loop

wjoegreen
on 12/13/08 11:54 am, edited 12/13/08 12:38 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Well guys,....I guess I am on forced sabbatical,
I over did a bit Thansksgiving week; weightlifting, a football game, 2.5 10 hour days doing manual labor I'm not use to; helping friend build a porch with a roof across the front of his house.  Played footbal for 1.5 hrs, running around like a kid making plays with guys half my age or less, on Thursday Thanksgiving Day (I had a blast!!).  Then on Friday my hip started hurting but not bad.  It progressively got worst. So the following Friday I caved in and went to my doctor.  He determined it must be tendonitis or burcitis and gave me a steroid shot in the hip and some NSAID muscle rub for muscle imflammation. (I know, NSAIDs bad voodoo).   A week later I can hardly move my leg so I go back and he gets xrays.  The ER doctor that looked at the xrays says no breaks but I have bone spurs on joint, hip bone and the iliac crest at the top of the hip and said it could be DISH, an arthoritic condition, and/or possibly a trapped nerve being pinched. In the mean time, stay off of it as much as possible.  I can hardly walk and the process of sitting from the standing position and standing after sitting are killer!!!
I was able to get a referral to an orthopedic this coming Monday.  So I don't know what is happening yet or what to do to get well.   So anyways,...I'll be lurking to see how everybody is doing and your progress and racing posts,... but IF I am able to get over whatever is the issue with my hip and leg, I'll be pretty much starting over again. 
But I know it did it before and can get-r-done again if I have the chance.  And if it is a longer term thing that puts a damper on my joggin/running,...well then, at least I got to get healthy enough to have done it and ran some races since WLS and I am grateful to have been able to do that. I enjoy it alot and will keep the board posted if I get to back going again.

All of you guys and gals are truly inspiring, supportive, and wonderful to chat with.
Thanks for the motivation to get to the half marathon prep level I was working on when the wheels came off.

Joe 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
onemeanmom
on 12/13/08 5:28 pm - Modesto, CA

Good luck to you Joe. Nothing worse than trying to move around while in pain like that.  Probably something we all need to pay attention to, overdoing. And then having to start over. But you'll come through it just fine with lessons learned and a new, stronger you.

Take care.
Mary Ann

wjoegreen
on 12/14/08 1:15 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you are right.  The bone spurs on the ball of the hip joint the xrays show and the fact there are three of them have me the most concerned at this point.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Linn D.
on 12/13/08 11:40 pm - Missoula, MT
Thanks for the update, Joe.  I'd been wondering how you were doing, so I'm sorry to hear about the hip trouble.  I hope it's an acute situation and that everything gets worked out and you're back to doing the things you like without the pain.

I'll be thinking of you,

Linn
wjoegreen
on 12/14/08 1:21 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks Linn.  Your progess over the past year has been amazing and I hope you can continue with your adventures with success. 

The part I hate about this situation is it is not from a sports injury as much as being active brought it to light sooner.  I don't know at this point what can be done about the bone spurs and if it can be corrected or just dealt with overtime. I am hoping for good news after seeing the orthopedic when I call Monday.  Internet research is pretty broad and not real encouraging.  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Elisa K.
on 12/13/08 11:46 pm - Lumberton, NJ
I'm so sorry you are in pain Joe.  Rest up - I hope you feel better soon!!
wjoegreen
on 12/14/08 1:24 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks Elisa,

You keep knocking 'em dead.  You have really seemd to geting into it with great progress as of this past summer.  I have enjoyed your enthusiam from your posts.  Keep getting after it.  Rob needs someone to keep him fired up!
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Cassie W.
on 12/14/08 12:41 am
Hey Joe,

Sorry to hear that things haven't improved with the initial round of rest.  You've been following my rehab, so you know that it takes time and a lot of patience.  Once your docs give you the go ahead to try non-joint pounding activities, I highly recommend spinning (or biking if it's warm enough) and swimming to maintain endurance, enhance your rehab and keep you from going stir crazy.  

Take care of yourself!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

wjoegreen
on 12/14/08 1:11 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks Cassie.  I have followed your situation and am keeping your reegime on my goal list to get to as I get this thing resolve.  Your patience and ability to rehab is also the knot in the end of my rope that give me hope to get actie again.  See what a good example and impact you are to others??
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Rob S.
on 12/14/08 8:06 am, edited 12/14/08 8:08 am - DE
Hey Joe,
Sorry to hear  about your ailment.  Hope that it can be rememdied.  We need you back in the game.  Our  bodies are so fragile, it is scary.  The main thing is to get the recommendations you need so you can set the right path, and get yourself healthy.  Pulling for you.
Rob
Most Active