Using Words To Validate The Number 5748.....

DANCBJAMMIN
on 12/12/08 11:33 am - Fort Worth, TX
My wife asked me a while back why I work out so much and why it is so important for me to be an Ironman... I have thought about that more than anyone knows, I asked myself that in the middle of my 22 mile long run last week, I asked myself that question again as I stood in line to pick up my race packet for the marathon today. I thought about that as I kneeled next to my son and said goodnight prayers and tucked him into bed a few minutes ago. I thought about  it everytime I walked through the door from work when my 22 month old daughter would come running to me with a smile and a hug yelling "Dadddeeee".  I think about that question the minute I open my eyes in the morning, the minute I lay down at night, and probably dream about the question when I am sleeping. I especially thought about it when I crossed the finish line of my first Sprint triathlon 8 months after RNY in a little over an hour and a half, crying like a baby, wanting nothing more than to hug my wife, cry on her shoulder for bit, then squeeze my kids.
Here is my simple answer to my wife's humble question....

Because I want to be a hero.

Then, if that is the answer, which it is, that begs another question.... "Why do you want to be a hero"? The simple answer is, because if I am not my son's or my daughter's or my wife's hero, that means someone else will be.

I want to be a hero, because I don't want to have to leave the inspiring stories, war tales, and glory for someone else to enjoy. I want to do those things that others are affraid to do. I want to do the things that people always told me I could'nt. I want to smile with pride in the faces of all those that laughed behind my back because of my severe obesity. I want to silence those that once chuckled under their breathe when they saw me at a buffet, I want to wipe the stinging grin off the face of that guy in Hawaii that I rented a quad from that yelled as I rode off onto the dirt path "We better order new suspension when that guy is done with it", and didn't think I heard it. I want to find that guy who was driving by the golf course when I was swinging my club that yelled " Why don't you run instead of golf fat ass" and ask him if he wants to run with me now. I want to cry tears of joy crossing a finish line, not cry in a corner because I just ate a whole pizza and still wanted more. I want to be a hero because I CAN be. I want to be an Ironman because I CAN be. I want to run the marathon this weekend because I CAN. It is so liberating to truly believe that you CAN. I grew up without a father, and I grew up having to look to other kid's dads to be my hero. You know... the dad who coaches the ball team, the dad who teaches their kids to ride a bike, the dad that takes the kids camping, the dad who works hard so the mom can stay home and raise the family, the dad who everyone wishes they had. I want to be THAT kind of hero.

One other question.... Am I just going to be bib #5748 in The Run The Rock Marathon this weekend? The answer is.... NO

I am the guy who 11 month's ago weighed 400 pounds, I am the guy that is preparing for 6 Ironman events next year, I am the guy who will be running towards my family, not running towards the Awards Podium. I am the guy who has taken hundreds of thousands of steps in preperation for my marathon, not steps towards the marathon, but steps away from obesity. Steps away from the man who would run away from crowded places, run away from reality, and run away from the very thing that keeps me wanting to run today. Love....No, I am not just bib #5748, I am the man that prays he can bring hope to those that find their heads clouded with doubt, I am the man that hopes to help people reach their full potential, I am the guy that hopes to inspire his family, which for the most part, is entirely comprised of overweight to super morbidly obese people. I am running without years of training without proper technique, without what would be considered proper running attire, however, what I do run with is heart. My heart is so full of thankfullness and hope. Thankfullness for all that I have been given, especially a chance at a new start to life, and hope. Hope that I can help at least one person to believe in themself and take the steps needed to walk away from obesity and rise to the champion that is within all of us.

I will close this winded rant with a quote I heard a while ago...

"There are 3 types of people in this world. Ones who make things happen, ones who watch things happen, and ones who say, What happened? I challenge myself and all of us to make TODAY the day that we all make things happen.  We will be better for it, and in someone's eyes we WILL be a hero.

If you want to track my progress on the 26.2 mile run on Sunday, here is the link, and I again am bib# 5748.
http://results.active.com/pages/page.jsp

Thank you all for your support and encouragement, I could not have done this without you.
Dan
www.trimywill.com
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com">a>

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Kevin A.
on 12/12/08 1:06 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Wow!! That was very inspiring!! One of the things I think about while I run is every step I take takes me far away from where I use to be. I know you will do great Sunday!!

See you on the other side of 26.2!!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Sherry_Berry
on 12/12/08 8:38 pm - Dacula, GA
Way to go! Have a great race and I can't wait to hear your report!

Cherish the finish line! You worked hard to get there!!!
(deactivated member)
on 12/12/08 10:21 pm - Palmdale, CA
Dan,
Bravo, Bravo Bravo! You made me cry.  FOr all of us former morbidly obese people you could not have said it any better.  I remember my first marathon it was in Hawaii and how I cried.  You know I have cried when I finished every single one.  It is my badge of honor for what I have accomplished in the past 4 years.  People who have not fought the battles that we have never will know the emotion attached to this.  You said it so eloquently. 
Liz
Elisa K.
on 12/12/08 11:51 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Dan,
Congratulations on your acomplishments!!  Best of luck in your race!! 

I had the words "I run because I can" engraved on my Road ID necklace.  Everytime I put that necklace on before a run, I think about that message and smile, because there was a time I could bearly walk, let alone run. 
kypdurran
on 12/13/08 3:36 am - Baton Rouge, LA

There are many firsts that you get to do but crossing the finish line of your first marathon is an awesome experience.  As Sherry said, enjoy it because it's gonna be amazing.

Best of luck!

Chad

MaryS
on 12/13/08 7:05 am - Long Island, NY
I love what you said about taking steps away from obesity. I think that is why running is so important to me. Best of luck to you tomorrow.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 12/13/08 8:25 am - DE
Go Dan!   You'll do fine tomorrow.  I'lll track your progress after I get back from my 18-mile long run.   You guys make me so proud to be a part of this group.  Isn't life wonderful.
Rob
Seht
on 12/14/08 3:19 am
Good luck and best wishes on Sunday, I'm cheering for you.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 12/20/08 10:29 am - Port Huron, MI
 Dan,
Great thread here.  I wanted to respond before I went into the hospital and never thought it'd be in the hospital for 6 days.
I think many of us on this board are HEROS for many of those we live with.  I know my students love hearing my tales and can't believe what I've accomplished in such a short time.  I'm getting more and more students talking to me about starting to run or exercise and I know it's largely because of me.
Here's what I want to caution you about -- especially with your heavy calendar next year -- don't set yourself up for failure!  You need to take care of you and do what's within your reach.  I'm just worried for you that if you don't finish one of these events you'll feel like you don't deserve the love, respect, and thoughts of 'hero' bestowed upon you by your family.  That failure could be devastating.  Do what you can, push yourself, have fun and know that what you've already accomplished makes you a hero in more eyes than you'll ever really know.
Keep it up man, you've done well!
--Sax
Most Active