What Next?

greenrobinson
on 12/11/08 8:27 pm
This may seem silly, but I have been committed to working out regularly for a year now. I had a trainer for 8 months. I competed all summer doing 5K's with a personal best at 25:06. I do 5 nights running with 1 6 mile run, I do 3-4 nights kickboxing class (for 30 minutes very tough)((love this but just started 2 weeks ago)), I lift weights at least 4 nights a week and rest 1 or 2 days. My question is I am fit, I am at goal weight, I eat very healthy most of the time. But what is next? I obviously know that I want to maintain, I have a goal of doing a triathalon in the spring or summer plus would like to try a 10K.  It just seems like I spend a lot of time at the gym and as fit as I am not seeing much change at this point. Have you all been at this point and how did you overcome this obstacle.
Robin
Scott William
on 12/11/08 10:35 pm
It sounds like you are happy with how you are now so that is a great start.  Do you want to change anything besides just changing up the routine a bit?  You have been doing a lot and I am wondering if you are a little burnt out.  I think that changing the goal is a great idea.  Many people here get satisfaction out of Tri's and running but a common theme here seems to be going farther than you have before.   5K - 10K - Half - Full or Sprint - Olympic - Iron Man.  I think you should start looking at going farther.  It may bring you the satisfaction that it has brought many here.  Good luck.
Linn D.
on 12/11/08 10:58 pm - Missoula, MT
Scott has some great ideas.  I'm almost 5 years out now, and have maintained for the last 4.  I go to the gym a lot and I mostly do it because I like to be fit, but it helps me a lot to have a goal. 

At this point, I think it's time to change your outlook on the REASON for exercising.  The ultimate goal is to be fit and healthy and exercise is a part of a healty LIFESTYLE, which is the important thing to maintain.

Kudos to you for all your hard work!  This is still just the begining of your new life, and what you do from here will make all the difference in your success long-term.  Find fun things that help keep you going, and you'll be fine in the long run.

Linn
Rob S.
on 12/12/08 9:33 am - DE
The problem may be that you've convinced yourself that you've already reached the finish line.  What changes are you expecting to see?  I'm over five years out, and I'm still amazed every day.  If you want to see change, you need to increase the intensity!    Set new goals and have fun.  You need to do this for the rest of your life so don't get burned out in the first year.
Rob
Most Active