dizzy while doing cardio

turkeybird
on 12/11/08 4:27 am - AZ
I have been going to the gym now 3 days a week since october. For some reason while i am doing my cardio on the eleptical i am getting dizzy. Usually it is 20 minutes into my workout. Sometimes I even get dizzy while doing weights. I usually break my cardio up. I do some cardio and then do my weights and then finish with more cardio. I have been doing 1.5 hrs on cardio. Any suggestions on why i might be getting dizzy and what to do about it?
Monica P.
on 12/11/08 6:55 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

I would get like that sometimes, usually when I went to the gym on am empty stomach.  Eat something small or drink a protein shake before heading out the door.

Keep hydrated while working out too....that could be another cause of the dizziness.

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

cbrock1592
on 12/11/08 11:52 am - New Haven, CT
I had the same problem and it was low blood sugar.
As soon as I hit the 25 minute mark i would just lose all energy.
Try Gatorade or G2 if you can handle it.
That will help.

Christine
band date: August 1, 2007
Band Removal Date:  Sept 30, 2008
Highest Weight: 355 lbs
Day of Surgery: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 185 lbs

Linn D.
on 12/11/08 1:47 pm - Missoula, MT
My first guess is also low blood sugar.  It's really important to fuel before working out - usually with carbs for usable energy.

Recovery is also important.  You should also eat something high carb 30-60 minutes after your workouts to restore glycogen in the muscles.  That makes sure you have enough energy for your NEXT workout.  As you keep working out, your body will start storing more glycogen, but it takes a while to build up, and it's important to have enough fuel to build it up.

It might also help to have something with you at the gym for quick energy.  We get so used to worrying about eating too much, that sometimes we don't eat enough.

Linn
turkeybird
on 12/12/08 4:06 am - AZ
Thanks those ideas really help me. I will give them all a try next week. you are right i am afraid of eating to much maybe i am not eating enough. With my cardio alone i am tending to burn 900-1000 calories. I will try some gatoraide or try taking a protein bar with me.
Most Active