Now I've gone and done it

rreiny
on 12/5/08 4:55 am - Epsom, NH
Well I registered for the Jan 29th "byebyebush" 5k run at UNH in NH.  Now that Isigned up - I HAVE TORUN!  I have not run in the cold before.  The other day I was thinking I would go home after work and take a short run to get started - well I forgot it gets dark at 4:30 and I don't have any safety gear to run in the dark.   Can I only run on the weekend and do aerobics during the week and be OK?  I hope so - cause that is probably all I will be able to do!  Its only a 5K - lets hoe for an indian summer and not -25!!
the7thdean
on 12/5/08 12:55 pm - GA
That bike class otherwise known as Spin Cycling might help get you into shape -- I hear it does it quickly.

Sherry_Berry
on 12/5/08 9:54 pm - Dacula, GA
Spin will help, but the leg motion is different than running.

I have a 20-30$ headlamp I got from REI. Once you put it on over your hat, you don't notice it's there. Also-you can attatch blinkie lights to your clothes, etc. reflective vest. There is a product called illuminite or something that makes tights that are reflective.

With the schedule you proposed you will develop the cardio endurance to do the 5k.

Are you planning on walking, run/walk or run the whole thing?

Also-the best advice any of us experienced athletes will give you is go to a running specific store like fleet feet. From there they will throw you on a treadmill and video your gait to see which shoe is best suited for your foot and pronation.

Looking at my feet you think I'd need motion control-but I need just a moderate stability. some people supinate or are neutral.

Wrong shoes are #1 cause of injury!
the7thdean
on 12/6/08 12:20 am - GA
Byebyebush -- 5 K run -- too funny.  Who's idea was that?

Most Active