Need workouts and motivation.

mnm8077
on 11/24/08 10:39 pm - IN
I am 4 months out, and have lost a little over 40 pounds.  I have not been exercising like I should.  I really have no excuse, I am home all day, I babysit a couple children, so I have plenty of chances throughout the day to workout.  I have a few workout videos, but the same ones are getting boring.  I have a exercise ball too.  I need ideas for workouts, I really need to work on my stomach, my stomach is the worst part, my arms and legs aren't as bad.  My stomach looks like I am 9 months pregnant!  I hope my skin goes back, but i have a feeling I will still need to have plastic surgery.  i have been overweight for 10 years and I am 28yr.
Anyone have any advice for me?
Realize Band 10cc--3cc fill Sep. 15--1cc fill Oct. 13    
Mifiremedic
on 11/25/08 12:50 am - MI
Okay here are my two cents worth. This is what works for me. Set yourself a goal of being able to complete something by a certain date. For example, to complete a 5K in the spring. This gives you a target date, and then you decide what you need to do every week between now and then to complete it.

My next suggestion is to take advantage of the exercise space which is called, the great outdoors. Get up every morning, and start off walking around the block, then the next week add another lap. After a couple laps, add in to run to the corner, then walk, etc. Before you know it you will be jogging around the corner with little effort. Make it fun, not a chore.

If the weather is so bad that going outside isnt possible then walk at the mall, walk up and down your stairs, join a gym, etc. The key early on is to do something, to start you onthe path towards your goals/dreams.

For me, I do best when I can get my workout done first thing in the morning. The longer I put it off the greater chance I wont do it. Plus if I get in a workout early in the day it gives me a totally different outlook on life and the day ahead.

Lastly, I would suggest logging your progress, it holds you accountable. Plus it shows you the progress you've made.

Dont be afraid to dream big. There are some great examples of people right here on this forum dreaming big and achieving those goals.

Curt

victoria R.
on 11/25/08 11:06 am - goose creek, SC
Hey
3 years ago I got the courage to walk into a gym 6 weeks after having my 3rd son.  I had lost some weight since my surgery but I was still way out of shape.  Now I'm training for my 1st sprint triathlon.  I just kept pushing and pushing and making some changes here and there coping with some ups and downs but I set some new "out of my comfort zone" goals for myself.  I'm 41 and can run farther now than I have ever been able to in my entire life.  Just keep challenging yourself and working just a bit harder and you will see and feel the benefits of excercise.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 11/25/08 2:15 pm - Missoula, MT

Hi There!

This is where I tend to get on my soap box, sorry.

There are two really important things to remember about exercise:

1) The reason we exercise should be to improve/maintain our overall health and wellness.  It is a long-term committment to a long and healthy life.  It's extremely important in heart health as well as a very good way to keep blood sugar low.

2) Exercise shouldn't be a chore.  It should be something you enjoy doing that you'll keep doing for an extended period of time, otherwise you won't.  It can be anything from bike riding to rock climbing to kayaking or just hiking the hills and getting outside.  Anything you find that you enjoy will be a good activity for you because you'll look forward to doing it.

Curt had some really good ideas.  At this point in time exercise is such a habit and something my body needs that I rarely miss a workout unless school gets in the way.  You don't have to become a fitness fanatic, but it will do you good in the long run to develop good exercise habits.

Linn

Mifiremedic
on 11/25/08 6:11 pm - MI
Wow..Someone paid me a compliment.. ha ha
silvercb67
on 11/25/08 10:50 pm - MN

Keep coming to this board. Everyone here is very inspiring. I have been pushing myself more & more & signed up to do a 5k in May. The more you do the better you feel.

Seht
on 11/26/08 12:02 am
I absolutely agree, have a goal, have a goal, have a goal.
I know that I am lazy and left to my own devices, I probably would never exercise.
I have been given a second chance at a healthy life.  This surgery provided me with the kickstart and help that I couldn't muster on my own.  I'll be damned if I am going to waste that opportunity.

The people here on this board provide so much support, encouragement, and are shining examples of who, what, where, when, why and how to exercise.  They are truly inspirational.

If you don't like traditional exercise, find a sport that you do like.  Soccer, Basketball, Softball, whatever.  I find that if I pick an active sport, I don't even notice that I am getting exercise, because I am having fun doing it.

I really can't add anything more than what the previous posters have written, I just really wanted to wish you well, and let you know that you can do it.

Good luck finding an activity/exercise that you like.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

wmcconk
on 11/26/08 9:26 am - Fircrest, WA
For me, I love to Zumba. Zumba is a latin-dance based aerobic excercise class. I've been doing it for over a year now and last month I got certified to teach it.  Check out Zumba.com for more info and you can watch videos on Youtube to see what a Zumba class looks like. For me, Zumba isn't a workout (although I certainly sweat like crazy!) it's more like a party. I have good friends that I've made in class and it's more like a sweaty party with my girls!

I lost my weight with Weight Watcher's & Zumba. I've lost 302 lbs. You can visit my weight loss website at www.freewebs.com/infectiouslaughter
I'll be in the Jan. 2012 issue of People Magazine's "Half Their Weight" issue!!

Most Active