I hate running and it's getting addicting

Seht
on 11/24/08 6:41 am
So now that the 10k run is done, and yes I still hate running   I already signed up for the next run.  (Resolution Run 5k on Jan 1st).

I hate running, but I hate sucking at it more than I hate doing it.  So today was back to the treadmill, and onto the web searching for another race.

Oh well back to the web to find a place for open water swimming practice.  I have to find some place where I won't be part of the food chain, and that has more distance than the local Y.

I hope everyone has a great holiday, don't let the turkey and stuffing slow you down.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 11/24/08 6:59 am - Lumberton, NJ
Scott - I am right there with you!!  I don't so much hate running, as I hate that I also suck at it - LOL!!  I have done 5- 5k races - my fastest time is 35:17.  I so want to break 30 minutes, but I don't see that happening any time soon.  I run with a group from a running store - I am one of the slowest runners - everyone else is improving quickly - nope, not me.  

I will keep plugging away, though.  I have 2 more races this year, then it is time to find some races for 2009.  My ultimate goal is to be competitive in my age group, so that means finishing a race in 26 minutes.

We'll get there Scott!  
Seht
on 11/24/08 7:28 am
Yeah I have to shave 20 minutes off my 10k time just to end up in the middle of the pack, and I'd have to cut my time in half to be competative.

Right now I'd be happy if I could run the whole thing without walking.  To me that is the first big step.  When I run a race, I want to run the whole thing.

Good luck getting there, Elisa, you will do it.

Scott

Linn D.
on 11/24/08 1:20 pm, edited 11/24/08 1:20 pm - Missoula, MT
Scott, you nearly always amuse me with these posts.  You are so determined to improve that it makes me smile.  Like I've said before, I totally understand your point of view.

I have an idea for you.  It might be helpful to start again with a couch to 5k program and make your run speeds faster (6.0 or faster) making it more like you're doing interval training.  Starting to run faster for shorter periods of time might help you get faster overall.  That's how I did it.  You may feel like you're really sucking wind for a while, but I bet you improve faster than you'd think.

Oh, and also make your run workouts at least 45 minutes. 

You know I always have an opinion.  Take it for what it is.

Linn
Seht
on 11/24/08 5:32 pm
Thanks for the suggestions, they are always welcome.

I have to get something working, I hate the feeling of floundering.

Thanks again

Scott

panhead58fl
on 11/24/08 11:55 pm - Barboursville, WV
I agree Scott they are addictive. I talked to a guy that I see at the different runs and he said that he and I are in one of the most competitive age groups 50- 55. Middle age guys realizing that we are getting old and trying not to. To be near the top of my age group around here, I would have to run a 20 minute 5K. Maybe one day. As far as running being fun, sometimes I think it is and then other times not so much. I thought I experienced the runners high a couple of times but it could be where I was sweating and caught a gust of wind and had a chill, goose bumps and kind of a rush.

I read in Runners World that to run faster you have to run faster. Well duh! Then I got to thinking about it and I would go out and run the same pace every time I ran. One thing I do now is after I warm up on the treadmill I run 1200 meters,"3/4 mile", at say 6.5 mph, you pick the  number that works for you, then slow it down to a jog or to a fast walk. When I have recovered I do 800 meters at 7 mph. Slow down recover and then 400 meters at 7.5 or 8 mph. When I have done this I do a mile or so at and easy pace and then gradually slow it down and walk for 1/2 a mile to cool down.

What I do enjoy is the look on these younger runners face when they look behind them and see this old grey headed guy running with them. There was this kid earlier in the summer that every time I got close to him he would look back and see me and take off. He did this three or four times, he finished ahead of me, but I could tell I was his motivation. I just wish I would had enough left to pass him.

pan head
victoria R.
on 11/25/08 11:22 am - goose creek, SC
I hate running too but I'm determined to get better at it, as well as swimming and cycling.  Not only did I sign up for a sprint triathlon in March, I just went online and signed up for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon on Valentine's Day.  My thought process is if I'm signed up for all of these events then I have to make sure I'm training for these events so I can at least make it to the finish line before the cutoff time.  It's all about getting me out of my "comfort zone".   Congratulations on your 10k and thanks for your motivation.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Seht
on 11/26/08 12:04 am
I signed myself up for another 5k on New Years day, and I have started the couch 2 5k program again.  This time at a faster pace.  I think that was a great suggestion.  I felt like I was actually getting a workout today.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and support.

Scott

Most Active