5K tomorrow -- need advice!

Yelena K.
on 11/22/08 7:19 am - Plymouth, MN

Tomorrow I walk/run a 5K and I'm pretty excited...except for the fact that I am sick.

I am going to take is slow, wear my ankle brace and do the best I can! 2.5 miles is further than I thought!!

For anyone here who knows anything about doing races in the winter -- what should I wear? My main fear is that I will freeze. Advice would be appreciated!

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

Kevin A.
on 11/22/08 10:01 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
You should dress warm but in something you won't mind throwing away if you get too warm. Hope that helps??

Best wishes on your run!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Yelena K.
on 11/22/08 10:40 am - Plymouth, MN
Thanks Kevin!!

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

saxman007
on 11/22/08 10:30 am - Port Huron, MI
 Just a warning: 5K = 3.1 miles;
I agree, wear what's comfortable.  If you're going to go hard at it, I'd plan on racing in cooler clothing and leaving you're warm-up gear at the start line.  If you're going to take it slow than you probably aren't worried about time and if you get warm you can just remove/carry the extra garment.  
Good luck and let us know how it went!!
--Sax

Yelena K.
on 11/22/08 10:40 am - Plymouth, MN
lol yeah, I just realized I miscalculated, lol :)

I will most likely walk it... it'll be near or below freezing tomorrow and possibly icy.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

saxman007
on 11/22/08 10:52 am - Port Huron, MI
 Being in Michigan we're in that below freezing season again too.  Personally I hate the 40-50 degree weather, that's where I struggle not freezing waiting to start and not over heating half-way through.
Dress warm -- if you haven't tried it yet get some UnderArmour coldgear.  The compression stuff is WONDERFUL!  I use not only when I'm exercising but also will also be using it when my bands do their parades this weekend.
Yelena K.
on 11/22/08 10:56 am - Plymouth, MN
Thanks!! I really appreciate the advice!

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

Linn D.
on 11/22/08 12:41 pm - Missoula, MT
Elena,

If you tend to get warm as you exercise, I'd dress in a layer less than you think you'll need.  The last 5k I did was in rainy weather and 45 degrees out.  I wore an underarmour coldgear long sleeved top, a tank over it, and a running skirt.  I was WAY too hot by the end.

Like I said, one layer less than you THINK you'll need is the way to go.

Linn
Seht
on 11/23/08 1:14 am
Good luck with your run today!

Keeping the right temperature has not been something I have perfected yet.  I always start off freezing while waiting for the start, and then end up way too hot during the race.  I should probably go the the dollar store and buy a bunch of throw away shirts.  That way I could peel it off during the race and adjust my temperature.

Anyhow, i'm looking forward to hearing your report.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

silvercb67
on 11/23/08 6:44 am - MN
Good for you! Can't wait to hear how it went either.

Most Active