Bodyfat Test???

Kevin A.
on 11/21/08 11:33 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
The past few months when I lost my "mojo" I put on 10-15lbs!! So my next challenge is to get that weight off and maybe get down to my goal weight. So right now I'm in week 2 of my gym's 6 week weight loss contest. I had all my measurements taken and my body fat.

Here what they came up with..

1. Total bodyweight: 242
2. Total lean mass ( bones, muscle, deep internal fat - stuff I can't touch) 186 lbs
3. Total subcutaneous fat (below the skin): 56 lbs
4. Bodyfat percent: 23% to 26% ( 3% margin of error)

So is there anyone out there that can tell me what this stuff means??
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Jacque V.
on 11/22/08 7:58 am - Kinderhook, NY
Good question!  I had a BodPod test done and just received the results today.  My lean mass is 62.5% and fat mass is 37.5%.  The doctor wrote on my results that they are among the best they've seen after bypass surgery.  However, she didn't explain what it really means!  I'm only 4 months out from WLS and down 73 lbs.  My current body weight is 169.  So I guess that means my lean body mass is 106 lbs and my fat mass is 63 lbs.  She says we will repeat the BodPod test in 6 months.  I just don't know what any of this really means!

5'3" - HW 248/SW 222/CW 137/GW 120

MacMadame
on 11/22/08 9:57 am - Northern, CA
I think it means you are a big, muscular guy.

Healthy range for body fat percentage for adult guys is something like 11 to 22 %. (It does vary a bit based on age and whose chart you use.) So I guess you have some room for improvement, but those results are nothing to sneeze at.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Kevin A.
on 12/4/08 12:33 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thank you!! Funny that I never been so healthy and active in my life but I'm still not sure of my results.

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
~ Lexipro ~
on 12/3/08 11:44 am - SC

Depending on how the test was done those can be reaaaaaaaaaaaally inaccurate so be careful. Even the poorer tests (hand held doodads and scales) can be used as sort of a comparison tool as long as you dont get hung up on the numbers. The big water dunking dealio is the most accurate.

Body Fat percentage can be misreported due to level of hydration and things like PMS bloat too - So if you just had your workout and drank a 20oz of water before doing the test its going to skew your fat % on the high side. If ya ate bad salty wise the day before and are retaining at all - same deal...

Lexi -  Size 6-8 and holding.

Kevin A.
on 12/4/08 12:42 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Well at least I have a ballpark figure of my body fat. Maybe I'll have to see about the water dunking if I get more serious.

Thanks!!
Most Active