My unbiased review of compression training socks

kypdurran
on 11/19/08 10:12 am, edited 11/19/08 10:13 am - Baton Rouge, LA

You've probably seen those silly runners that look like they are wearing tube socks pulled up to just below their kneecaps.   Well I was surprised to learn that they aren't making a fashion statement trying to bring the 70s back but rather they are wearing a set of compression socks to help support their calf muscles. 

Over the last 3 or 4 months I've slowly developed cramping in my calves while swimming and most importantly while running.   When I ran getting off the bike and even when I swam distances of over 1 mile I would experience slight to intense pain in both legs that would often lead me to limp through the rest of my workout or race.  As I was waiting in line for my free massage at Pumpkinman I chatted up a guy from Las Vegas that was wearing a pair of the socks.   I told him he looked stupid wearing the socks, he took a swing at me and it was a big mess.  Heh, not really.   :)   He told me that he too was experiencing calf pain and the socks pretty much eliminated any associated pain and even helped with his shin splints.   He said he had 2 pairs, one he uses to train in and the other he uses for recovery.  I was intrigued so I decided to do some research when I got home.  I found out that compression socks are widely used for treatment of edemas and deep vein thrombosis in the medical industry but most recently in the exercise world to increase endurance by enhancing blood flow and minimizing fatigue.   What really interested me was the studies that were done post strenuous activity that showed significant lactate recovery rate increases.   All that pain I'm experiencing in my calves?   Lactic acid I'm sure.  What they heck, I'll try a pair for a few weeks and see what happens. 

I ended up grabbing a pair three weeks ago and have trained in them exclusively to see if I found any difference.  I ended up buying the black 2XU that fit from ankle to knee for $50 at a local tri shop.   They also had a style that fits like a sock and a stirrup model.  I chose these because I wasn't too excited about having compression on my ankes and I the idea of a stirrup running under my heel seemed uncomfortable.

So, did they help?

Did my speed increase?  Nope.  I ran a 22 minute 5K before and I run a 22 minute 5K now. 

We're they comfortable?  They fit really tight but not so much as to hurt.  After a couple minutes with them on I forgot they were there.

Did I notice anything different DURING the run?  It's hard to explain but I felt 'fresher' and was able to ramp up to my desired pace pretty quickly. 

What about post run?  This is where I think they product shines and why I reccommend them.   Usually I will hobble around for at least an hour at wor****il I get my legs back.   Wearing the socks for a couple hours post-run I moved around with no issues.   I have yet to experience any calf tightness, pain and most importantly I haven't been woken up in the middle of the night screaming because my calf muscle locked up.    I also haven't experienced any tightness or cramping when swimming.  The jury is still out on how effective they are in the drink because I have only swam in them once. 

I don't know if I will be wearing them for training and racing but I will definitely be using them for recovery. 

Train safe!

Chad
www.team464.com

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/19/08 11:13 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Chad,

If you decide to wear them in your next race, be sure to wear a pair of hi top converse "Chucks". haha that would be classic! Hey man, whatever works for you. When we shove our bodies into spandex or licra for these events, we have lost all dignity anyways! It's good you haven't had any cramps as of yet with them, so go with what works. Hope all is well my friend.

-Dan "Your Doppleganger"
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 11/19/08 12:41 pm - Missoula, MT
Interesting.

I'll keep that in the back of my mind if I start having cramping problems in the calves.  I generally only have sore muscle issues in the quads after long runs, but have been known to cramp up when I do more swimming.

Thanks for the info!

Linn
Kevin A.
on 11/19/08 12:56 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Can't wait to see pictures of this!!

Hey whatever works!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/08 10:29 pm, edited 11/19/08 10:30 pm - Island Heights, NJ
 Yup...
I've been using the "Skinz" stirrup compression socks for the past 8 months
Northeast finish 08

I race with them, and wear them for any training run / bike / brick that lasts for more than 90 minutes.
Just like Chad, I get no "boost" during the race... but, the recovery time is greatly diminished!
Well worth the $50 investment, in my book.

Sherry_Berry
on 11/21/08 10:22 pm - Dacula, GA
I wore them on the plane and to bed.

Just wait until you do an IM. People walk around in speedos and compression socks!

Oh, and a HR monitor!
Most Active