Homerun for Habitat 10k Race Report

Brian W.
on 11/18/08 8:08 am - Belmont, CA

For my final event of 2008, I chose the Homerun for Habitat 10k this past Sunday.  It was held on the campus of Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA.  Proceeds benefitted Habitat for Humanity.

Race started about 30 min later than expected due to a rush of walk-up registrations, so i was able to do some extra warm up jogs.

The start line was behind Stanford Stadium and at 9:15, the race began.  I decided since this was a short distance, i would try to go for my personal best (currently at 1:03:14).  So I went all out at the beginning, getting about a 9:15 pace going and passing Mile 1 at 9:48 (a bit slow due to an ipod problem).  Mile 2 was much better, passed that 9:33.  The course wounds its way off campus to a residential area with a long hill incline. It was steep, but it was long, about 1/2 mile.  And so that slowed me up.  Also my ipod somehow kept looping itself, so I had to slow down and adjust that.

Mile 3 was slower, about 10:30, but then the course went downhill and back around the campus up to a mountain road.  I hit Mile 4 heading back down to the main road to the campus and through park area, keeping up my pace as best I could.  Hitting Mile 5, I could see the shadow of the Stadium looming and hit the final stretch run.  I took my final hit of powerade and went all out.  The finish line was just outside the baseball stadium and I crossed the finish line at 1:02:10...a personal best!  I really really wanted to do under 1 hour, but i'll settle for shaving 1 minute off my time.

Looking at the overall results, i finshed like 30th of 33 in my age group, at least i wasn't last lol.

Next 6 weeks will be devoted to some strength training and hopefully increasing my speed.  Then January....Marathon training!

Brian
~350

DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/18/08 9:19 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good Job Brian!  Great year of progress for you. Good luck on the training, it sounds like we should have a strong group of athletes here on this board! Great report and congrats on you personal best!

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 11/18/08 9:50 am - Missoula, MT
Hey Brian,

Your progres is great!  I know what it's like when you want to do that one thing, but getting a PR is good any time - even if it's not quite the time you want.

Glad to hear you had a good race, though, and it'll come.  1:02 is still running at a good pace!

Linn
MaryS
on 11/18/08 9:28 pm - Long Island, NY
Brian,

Great job - congrats!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Seht
on 11/19/08 12:02 am
Congrats on the success and the PR.

Way to go.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Kevin A.
on 11/19/08 12:17 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
What a great run!! Funny calling 6 miles a short run!! Keep up the great training!!

"You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Brian W.
on 11/19/08 12:25 am - Belmont, CA
Pretty soon I'll be calling a half marathon a walk in the park! 

You better be doing San Diego! None of that retirement nonsense lol

Brian
~350
Kevin A.
on 11/19/08 8:02 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I'll run it as soon as I figure out a way to run 26.2 faster with doing any long runs!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Most Active