16-mile training run...

Rob S.
on 11/18/08 10:41 am - DE
Well this is a bit late, but things have been a bit busy.  I couldn't do my training run on Saturday because there was a torrential downpour all morning, so we opted to do th 16-miles on Sunday.  This marathon training has no mercy.
So I got to my running partner's house early on Sunday morning so that we could drive up to to Boathouse Row in Philadelphia to run our 16-miles along the Schuykil River. It is always great to run with Susan because she is young and fit, and everyone always want to chat with her.  Not sure why she enjoys running with an old man.  Back to the run, it started out cold and windy.  The problems started immediately when we couldn't find a parking spot in the regular lot.  But lo and behold just as we were leaving, a woman had finished her run and gave us her spot.
After a quick stop at the heated restrooms, I found out my running jacket zipper was broken so I had to run with the jacket flapping all over the place.  My hydration belt wouldn't stay tight against my slender waist and kept falling off my butt.  And for some reason my feet felt like they were flopping around in my running shoes (more on that issue later).
We started our run at about a 10 minute / mile pace, but I got told to slow down to !0:30 so I could finish the run.  The first four miles are out along the river, and we may good time, no stopping or walking, and the wind didn't seem too bad.  At just under four miles we crossed over the bridge and started the second part of the U course.  It heads back to the Art Museum (have you seen Rocky!).  The next two miles were fine, and we had a slow jog break for water and sport beans.  We hit a little more intensity in the wind, but at the six mile mark we were at 1 hour 3 minutes.  Then we ran to a flock of runners competing in the Schuykil River 8k Run.  We had to run the next mile just off the road to avoid the runners coming at us.  At eight miles, just under the Art Museum we hit the 8-mile turnaround.  Another short jog break for water and sport beans.  And then we hit a crushing wind in the face for the next two and a half miles.  We ran 13-minute miles (pretty good against the wind) but kept plodding.  When we got to the bridge we had logged twelve miles and we were clocking at 2 hours 16 minutes.  Still great for me.
When we crossed the bridge, my partner's foot problem began to flare and she was struggling, so we slowed, and this caused my hamstrings to start to sing a little bit.  So for the next mile we ended up walking at a fast gait and my legs continued to throb.  Susan's Tylenol gave her a second wind so I could tell she was anxious to get started again.  I tried valiently to just jog, and she cheered me through the remaining distance to the finish.  We hit 16 miles at 3 hours 10 minutes.  My legs were screaming at me, and I chugged down a recovery drink in about 10 seconds.  Then followed that up with two giant ice water bottles.  My first 16-mile run is now complete.
So I got home, my knees were hurting a little, but the ankles were feeling better, and the hamstrings were totally recovered.  I was telling my wife about the run when I looked down at my running shoes and realize that I was wearing my really old shoes.  That doesn't explain the pain I experienced totally, but it doesn't explain why the feet were flopping and my ankles were sore.  I also think that is why I lost a toenail on this run.
So I finished and next Sunday get to run 10-miles, then 16 again after Thanksgiving.   Disney is looming in the horizon.  I sent my check to pay my balance on the hotel and airfare.  Now all we do is to figure out what to do down there for three days while I'm waiting for the start of the marathon.
Thanks for listening.
Rob
kypdurran
on 11/18/08 11:03 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Grats Rob.  You're doing well man and you're gonna have no issues with Disney. 

You aren't gonna do Disney for your three days prior to the marathon?   That should help pass the time.   Only thing is you will be on your feet the whole time and that may hinder your tapering plans.

Rob S.
on 11/19/08 6:23 am - DE
Yeah, I'll be down there starting Thursday night.  My wife and I have never been to Disney, mainly because we are not partial to crowded places.  But I've got to start researching what we need to see when we get there.  I'm hoping that I can spend a lot of time in the pool pre and post marathon.  Looking forward to your next report.
Rob
MaryS
on 11/18/08 9:38 pm - Long Island, NY
Rob,

Great report - I felt like I was there with you. You are doing great!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Rob S.
on 11/18/08 10:19 pm - DE
Thanks Mary,
I didn't realize how tough the training would get.  I can't imagine going through this solo.
Rob
Kevin A.
on 11/18/08 11:59 pm - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Great report!! Marathon training is harder than the marathon!! Your going to do great!!

Oh and thanks for not putting in a TE this week!! I really needed that win!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Rob S.
on 11/19/08 6:25 am - DE
Yeah, I can't keep track of who is actually going to play on Sunday anymore.  Today's players are just a bunch of wimps.  Luckily I am doing much better in my other leagues.
Rob
wjoegreen
on 11/19/08 3:27 am, edited 11/19/08 3:29 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Terrific job Rob. 
Maybe the gender isn't the draw as much as having determined partner that is about the same pace on the training regime.  Just count it a blessing you have an attractive and interesting running partner.
Love your report and admire your progress.
I fell off the training wagon and am struggling to get restarted again with the recent bout of rain and now cold.  But I went to the gym at work today for lunch and go tthe blood circulated and this pumped feeling is great.  I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and brave the elements so I can get back in the saddle and catch back up with youse guys.

I'm rooting for you and Scott at Disney, and feel bad Cassie is sidelined.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Rob S.
on 11/19/08 6:21 am - DE
Hey Joe,
This cold weather is tough on rekindling the spirit and trying to get outside.  But it's really great to keep trying.  How did you make out in your election?  It really took up a lot of your time.  Maybe now you can get back on the wagon.  The weather is bad, the feeling can't be beat.
Rob
wjoegreen
on 11/19/08 7:15 am - Colonial Heights, VA
8 candidates ran for 4 seats on the local City Council; 2 incumbants did not seek re-election.  I came in third so I got elected. 1 incumbant didn't make it back on; they came in fifth.  I finish my third School Board term this December and take my oath and seat on city Council Jan 2 09.

Thanks for the encouragement to brave the elements.

Joe
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active