IM Training... and a Cross-Post!

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/08 1:03 am - Island Heights, NJ
I've been MIA from this board for about two months...
I knew that September and October would be my ONLY off-season this year, and I tried to remove myself from all Triathlon related thinking (including posting here), to help get mentally as well as physically rested for the Up-Coming season.

I'm now 18 days into my 7-Month build toward IM Coeur d'Alene, and already looking forward to the 3 week taper in June!

On a lighter note: It took almost 40 years... But, I finally got my first modeling gig:

The Jersey Shore Triathlon Club is running a special series of sprint-distance race events all over the Shore Area in 2009. The main race takes place in Asbury Park, NJ. and the finish line is right next to the Asbury Convention Hall & legendary Stone Pony night club. Of course they are marketing this race by tying it all in with the Asbury / Bruce Springsteen connection, and I was tapped to be in the promo shots, all to be used on the internet, posters, shirts, etc... So the race committee's plan was to parody the "Born To Run" album art:
Photobucket And this is the final product:
Photobucket
Of course, I got to take the Boss' place and the role of Clarence Clemons is being played by the head bike mechanic for the club (Whose real name is also, Clarence) We had a great time taking the shots... Clarence is VERY introverted & quiet and was NOT HAPPY about being a part of this. He was very uncomfortable, and most of the pics could not be used because everyone in the room was laughing so hard at the fact that he was so creeped out by having to be in such close contact with me So... there's my attention ***** post of the day!
kypdurran
on 11/18/08 2:17 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hah.  Awesome pic man!   How goes the training?   You got a new bike?

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/08 3:20 am - Island Heights, NJ
Thanks Chad!
The training's already kicking my ass... It's amazing how much you lose after 2 full months off. Don't get me wrong, I was working out the whole time, but nothing really "triathlon specific".

Now that the cold weather is upon us (35 degrees today), I'm doing a lot of treadmill running and indoor trainer biking. The FUN part is going Trail riding / Mountain biking. There are some great places here with miles and miles of awesome MTB trails with a ton of tight turns and killer climbs... and, just about every triathlete around spends the winter month****ting the woods. Sunday morning, we had no less than 30 people from our club out there. I went for 2 1/2 hours. It's an AMAZING way to build up the core, and overall bike skills!
I highly recommend it.

Oh... That Cervelo P3 with the Zipps? It belongs to the club bike shop / main sponsor. I just can't afford the $4500 price tag! It works well for the pic, though.
I'll be flying my VanDessel Hellafaster out for CdA.

So... You all signed up for IMFL?
Don't be like that guy this year, and make sure you keep your swim fins at home!

Hopefully we'll both hit the Kona lottery this year, and we can hook up on the Big Island!

Be Well,
A.J.
kypdurran
on 11/18/08 4:14 am, edited 11/18/08 4:17 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Yeah man, I'm officially in for IMFL.   I volunteered earlier this month and stood in line the following morning to get my slot.   I was a catcher at the finish line and man that was an experience!   It was amazing and I can't wait!

Compared to the 20 triathlons, a marathon, a half-marathon, three 10Ks and a bunch of 5Ks my schedule next year will be light.   I'm trading racing for lots of training.   I don't just want to finish my first full course I want to finish between 11 and 12 hours.  I have my first 70.3 in April, followed by a 70.3 in May, maybe Escape from Alcatraz in June, 140.6 Hawaii in October and 140.6 Florida in November.  Hawaii isn't officially official yet but I'm working on it.  :) 

My coach had me in my 'off-season' for the last 3 weeks.  I'm doing a follow-up lactic acid threshhold test on the bike and run on Thursday / Friday to guage my training progress then my training for the 70.3 officially starts next Monday.   My coach is ramping me up for each race so I'm not specifically training for the full courses yet.   I have my stubborn ideas of what I should be doing but I'm turning EVERYTHING as far as training and nutrition over to him. :)  He seems to know what he's doing so I'm in good hands. 

I surely hope we can cross paths at a race or two next year.   I want to try to do all the IM races in the continental US so I may just be at IMCDA next year so I can sign up for 2010.  :) 

Train safe my brotha'

Chad

Mifiremedic
on 11/18/08 4:43 am - MI
So where does a person get autographed poster size versions of that? I think its a great picture.

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/08 4:49 am - Island Heights, NJ
I'll be sure to post links to the online store when it's up!
Linn D.
on 11/18/08 8:33 am - Missoula, MT
How fun!

Thanks for sharing, AJ.

Linn
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/18/08 9:26 am - Fort Worth, TX

Nice pics bro. I remember reading your posts a while back, just after I decided I wanted to do a Triathlon, now I am hooked! I hope you tear it up at CDL, I have been watching it on Versus along with IMAZ and LP. I will be doing Buffalo Springs 70.3, Austin 70.3, Boise 70.3, Louiseville 140.6, and if the stars align themselves properly, a lottery spot for Kona. We will see. Good luck on the training man. I moved to Texas from West Chester, PA, and I am planning on going back there in the summer, maybe I could hook up at an event with you. Anyways, take care....

-Dan

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MaryS
on 11/18/08 9:27 pm - Long Island, NY
You look like the picture of fitness - congrats!! Good luck with the training.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active