GPS/HRM

saxman007
on 11/16/08 11:31 am - Port Huron, MI
Didn't want to hijack/revive the Pacing thread but that got me thinking.
Was wondering what people are using for HRM and/or GPS units.  I've got a basic Polar HRM but I'm not completely satisfied with it -- want more features.  I would love to be able to get pacing information, especially on long runs that I only have rough milage marked and only 2-4 miles apart.  I've got a new bike computer so that's not crucial, but especially for you who do triathlons what are/have you used? What's the pros/cons of your previous units?
I'm primarily using a mac and want to have easy interface (I know I can run windows software too, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible).  Last thing to throw out there -- Cosco has the 305 Forerunner for $149 so I'm debating.  If it wasn't for the Mac thing I'd probably order one.
Thanks for the input!!
--Sax

Brian W.
on 11/16/08 1:10 pm - Belmont, CA
Hi Sax

I've used the Garmin 305 for about 4 months and love it.  Used it today as a matter of fact.  I can easily glance and see what pace I'm running at.  Heart monitor seems to works fine as well.

There's lots of options to configure if you choose, like a pacing partner program and the software program is kinda barebones, but works for me.  Can't help ya on the Mac thing, I'm a PC guy

Brian
~350
Sherry_Berry
on 11/16/08 5:20 pm - Dacula, GA
The garmin is no****erproof. I don't know about the new one...you may wanna check on that.

For running I have the Polar 200SD(speed/distance). It has a footpod. I don't use the footpod b/c I pretty much know where the miles are on my runs.

On my bike I have the polar 200CAD (with cadence). It has like 6 viewing screens while riding, but I go by HR, not speed, so I stay on the page that shows time on bike/CAD/HR

1. I can swim in the watch and chest strap. Who wants to fool with that in T1?

2. It's the same equipment...no change in watch...only one watch worn....only one chest strap...

You can hook it up to your computer if you're anal about tracking...
DANCBJAMMIN
on 11/16/08 6:17 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I use the Garmin as well/ One thing you can do in the meantime is go to www.mapmyrun.com and put in the address you are leaving from and simply mark your route on the maping section, it will tell you the distance, and if you put in your height / weight , age, time , etc... it will do your workout calculator for you. You can also save your workouts and search for recommended rides / runs in your area. Just a heads up. Good luck figuring out which toy santa should bring you!

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Elisa K.
on 11/16/08 8:53 pm - Lumberton, NJ
I also use the Polar 200 SD HRM.  I didn't buy the footpod - not really sure I need it, since I always map where I am going, and pretty much know my mile makers.    

I am very pleased with it.  I especially find it helpful in a race situation -I tend to start out too fast - the monitor reminds me to chill out a bit.  I've also started to add some distance to my runs, and it has helped me pace. 

I know if you do buy the Polar units with the footpods, it will calculate distance and pace.  I opted not to get the footpod right away - wanted to make sure the HRM was something I would use, before I shelled out the extra cash for the pod.  I am still on the fence as to whether or not I need it.
kypdurran
on 11/16/08 11:06 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

I've only used Garmin products so I dunno about Polar, Timex and other brands.

I've got a Garmin Forerunner 50 with the footpod, heart rate monitor and cycle sensor.   The cycle sensor with the Forerunner is my backup on the bike.  I use a Cateye wireless computer as my primary because I didn't like having to flip my wrist over when I was riding to see my stats.   I was able to mount the Cateye right between my extenders so I can check everything out with a glance.   The only problem I have with the Forerunner 50 is that when I get off the bike I have to close out the event and reset the watch to start logging my running.  

The new Garmin 405, which has GPS receivers built into the watch band and looks like a watch is waterproof.  It's $299 with the heart rate monitor included.   From what I read the 405 is setup a little better with multisport in mind.   It will allow transition from one event to the other and with GPS I guess you could log speed and mileage in the drink as well where with the Forerunner 50 you can only log time. 

Good luck!

Chad
www.team464.com

saxman007
on 11/19/08 12:18 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Thanks all for the feedback.  I'm still really no  loser to my decision though -- too many good options.  Chad, from what I've read I didn't think the 405 was waterproof.  Plus isn't the battery limited to 8 hours?  If the Garmin was/is waterproof I'd get that in a second. If not it seems like the 200 is probably the way to go.
Thanks for all of the advice!

kypdurran
on 11/19/08 10:19 pm - Baton Rouge, LA

It's offically "water resistant".   I took that to mean it was water proof but I'm probably wrong.   I doubt it would hold up as a dive watch but swimming on top the water?  Maybe.  

Most Active