begginner training for 5K

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/08 9:25 pm
Hello everyone, I am 6.5 mths out and I have lost 104 lbs. I have just begun training for my first 5K. I need hints to get to the end of 5K. I have been running 5 min/ walk 5 min  for this week and that seems to be going well. BUT my run is January 10th, so I do not have alot of time. What helped you get to the end? What tricks have you found that really worked for you? Training tips? I need all the help I can get January is right around the corner, and I want to finish the race! Thanks.............
Scott William
on 11/12/08 10:13 pm
Keep doing what you are doing.  Just add some time or distance to each workout.  Throw another 2 or 3 minute walk or run on the end of what you are doing.  Tomorrow, add some more time.  Before you know it, you will be doing 4 or 5 miles.

When you get bored, you can change the run to walk ratio to 4 min walk and 6 min run or ever break it down to smaller segments.  Walk for 2 minutes and run for 3.  That will be the same ratio but you might find it a little easier to keep going.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/08 4:03 am
Thank you for the reply. I plan to do the same for the rest of this week and next week I will be changing my times. Thanks again!
kypdurran
on 11/13/08 2:22 am - Baton Rouge, LA

You'll do fine.   Like Scott advised just make small increases in your distance (no more than 10%) every week and you'll be at the 5K distance and beyond before you know it.

Honestly, when you toe the line of your first race the excitement alone will push you all the way to the finish line.   Don't worry about it and have fun because that's what it's all about!

Chad
www.team464.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/13/08 4:07 am
Thank you for the post. I will keep doing what I am doing for this week. I planned on increasing on Monday. Thanks
victoria R.
on 11/13/08 2:46 am - goose creek, SC
Hey
At the rate your going I don't think you're going to have any problems whatsoever.  Keep up the good work!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Kim27sd
on 11/13/08 4:06 am - Sioux Falls, SD

When I started training for my first 5k I used the couch to 5k program(http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) and that worked wonders for me. When I was doing the training I only got to 2.5 miles, but when I did the race I ran all of the 3.1 miles in 32:40  plus being in the race is a motivatior too. I just kept telling myself to run at my own pace an not worry about anyone else, and stay with your pace not someone elses. You will do great!

KIM

Most Active