1 Week Post Op...Where to Start

Dosha
on 11/12/08 3:47 am - TX
Hello! I just had my surgery about 10 days ago, and I'm still in a little bit of pain. I want to join a gym eventually to get some strengty training in, but I'm worried about how soon is too soon to start lifting anything...even very light weight. When can I start strength training without fear of hurting my new tummy? When did you begin your exercise after surgery and what did you do?

Thank you for any answers! Dosha
dasloaf
on 11/12/08 7:10 am - brighton, MI
Talk to your Doctor before you do anything, Heal thself before you go to the gym.  Then get a trainer and work with them to set up a program.  Then go for it!
one hot mama
on 11/12/08 12:04 pm - Tennessee/ Alabama
I waited 3 months before any kind of real work out until then I walked and did stuff like small weights while walking. But after 3 months I went and talked to a trainer at a gym and slowly moved into running and heavier weights and ab training, I will be one year out in 17 days and I run 5-8 miles 3 times a week and I can actually lift over 90 pounds and I can push over 250 with my legs.

Though this may not seem like a lot to some it is huge for me because a year ago I couldn't even walk through Wal Mart without sitting or going home.

So take your small strides now cause when its time to open up you will be so tired and in so much pain you will want to stop.

Use your heart and find a way to keep on going.

Good luck and welcome to your new life!
 Army Wife
MaryS
on 11/12/08 8:27 pm - Long Island, NY
Just wanted to say Roll Tide to a fellow Bama fan!:

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

one hot mama
on 11/12/08 8:46 pm - Tennessee/ Alabama

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!! 10-0

Army Wife
Linn D.
on 11/12/08 12:44 pm - Missoula, MT
First of all, listen to your surgeon and wait until you're cleared to anything besides walk.  Until then you'll get a lot out of walking.

Most people wait 6 weeks before any lifting is allowed.

Linn
MaryS
on 11/12/08 8:26 pm - Long Island, NY
Dosha,

It's great that you want to start exercising! Most surgeons will want you to wait about 6 weeks before starting strength training - you should check with your surgeon to see what his/her guidelines are. For now, walking is the best, it will help build your endurance and strength.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Seht
on 11/13/08 1:40 am
yep my doc said 6 weeks for any lifting, but walk walk walk right away.

Congrats on your recent surgery and best wishes for you an all your upcoming success.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

donnainhouston
on 11/13/08 10:32 pm - League City, TX
Every surgeon's protocol is different.  Check with yours first.  Mine had me walking 4 hours after surgery, and expected me to walk 10 minutes 3x a day for the first 2 weeks after surgery. He believed that walking/moving sped up the healing process and made you feel altogether better.  I agree!

As always, check with your doctor first!

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Donna :)

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Dosha
on 11/17/08 12:33 am - TX
Thank you everyone! I appreciate all of your input. Even obese, I've never been one to sit around, and I'm just going a little stir crazy. Now, I think I may have an incisional hernia, which delays my moving around even further, which is very disheartening. It even hurts (my incision) to walk. I'll get there, soon, though. Thank you all again. :) Dosha
Most Active