Finally a dietician that was willing to work with me

Seht
on 11/12/08 12:46 am
I finally got in to see the dietician and discuss with her my calorie prot/carb/fat needs that would support working out and allow me to continue to lose weight.

The previous nut/dietician wouldn't work with me to develope a plan that helped support my work out routine, all I got from her was the party line.  It felt like she was reading down a page of instructions and there was no room for deviation.  So this was a breath of fresh air.

She has switched me to 5 meals a day instead of 3, increased the daily calorie intake by 200 calories, and as part of that, she has added a protein bar before my morning workout.  I had been feeling really sluggish in the mornings and had no energy. 

So for the next month we are going with the following, then we will meet and adjust it as necessary.
1000 calories a day
5 a.m. pre-workout protein bar 200 calories
workout 5:30-7:00
8 a.m.. breakfast 200 calories
12 p.m. lunch 200 calories
3 p.m. snack 200 calories
6 p.m. dinner 200 calories

I'm excited to see if this makes any difference and to find out if I keep losing weight.
I have also been anxious about meeting my goal weight in January my 1 year anniversary.  I am 12 pounds away from goal.  She commented that I might be there already if it wasn't for the extra skin.  So I made an appointment with the plastic surgeon just to get an estimate from him and to find out what they can do and what the costs will be.  I'm going to have to save for it, but at least I will know what needs to be done, and I hopefully won't beat myself up over that 12 pounds if he tells me that I will lose that much skin.

On the down side, after talking with the dietician about still having dizzy spells when I stand up too quickly, I told her that it had mostly subsided.  I still have it once in a while.  Well last night I had a doozy, I stood up, walked to the kitchen, the next thing I know, my son is yelling at me daddy are you ok, and my wife comes running into the kitchen.  I guess I got so dizzy I fell.  It may have been a full on syncopal episode, because I don't remember falling, but I do remember hitting the floor. 

I have another set of lab work scheduled, and I will be getting those done this weekend.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 11/12/08 3:58 am - Lumberton, NJ

That's great Scott - I think you will find that you will lose faster with your increase calorie intake - you are working out like mad - your body needs to fuel.

Have you discussed this latest episode with your surgeon - I think you should!!

Seht
on 11/12/08 5:02 am
I sent him an email today, am waiting to hear back.
Unfortunatley the pcp is on vacation and won't return until tomorrow, so I couldn't bounce this off him either.

Scott

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/08 7:31 am - FL
Only a 1000 calories a day?  That just doesn't sound like enough.  I would be dizzy too!

Wanda 
Mifiremedic
on 11/12/08 9:09 am - MI
Only 1000 calories per day? That seems a bit low to me... Please explain that further.
Seht
on 11/12/08 9:17 am
1000 calories a day is about 200 more than they had set for me initially.
Broken down they want
50% of those calories  protein 500 calories  125 grams
25% calories from fat 25 grams of fat 25grams
25% calories from carbs 62 grams of carbs

I still have about 12 pounds to go for my goal weight.
I'm going to go see a plastic surgeon and see if he can give me an estimate on the amount of extra skin I have and what the costs would be to remove it.  I think that without that extra skin, I would probably be at or very close to my goal weight.  If that is accurate I'd like to switch to a maintain diet from a lose diet.  I'm sure the calorie count would be adjusted up some more.

Scott

Mifiremedic
on 11/12/08 7:37 pm - MI
I guess my next question is: How did your NUT come up with 1000 calories/day? Did they do a RMR? Or some other way?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Oh and by the way, great job....
Seht
on 11/12/08 11:35 pm
Nope, their basic guideline is 800 calories a day for the rny patients.  She just eyeballed the exercise I have been doing or trying to do and upped the calories to 1000.

Linn D.
on 11/12/08 12:42 pm - Missoula, MT
Hi Scott,

I also think the dizziness is related to low blood sugar.  I can tell you when it's happening to me.   I totally feel it happening and know that it's been too long and I need to eat right away.  I would highly suggest getting a blood glucose monitor and taking a reading when you're dizzy like that.

At this point, you're really not so much a post-op bariatric patient as a normal person working out and training for events.  I know it's hard to get your head around that, but it's more the truth these days.  Please try to listen to your body if it feels like you need more, because it probably does.

I still think 1000 is too low for you (remember that I eat ~1800 and I'm only 5'5" and 155#), but do as you feel is appropriate.

I really hope you get it all worked out and get some energy back.

Linn
Seht
on 11/12/08 11:38 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I think I will give this a try for the one month and then reassess.  No problems yesterday with being dizzy, but I made sure that I had fluids all day long, so that may have been the deciding factor.  I guess we will see over the next few weeks.

Scott

Most Active