Newbie wanting to start going to the gym

Hilary P.
on 11/11/08 10:59 pm - Decatur, AL
Hey yall! I am from the Alabama board but ran across this board while at work. Im wanting to start going to the gym but i have no idea where to start. I had bought a 3 month membership to Benders a while back and went maybe 3 or 4 times because i had no idea what i was doing.
I worked out on the treadmill for about 15 minutes at a very low speed of like 3.8 then i went on the elliptical for about 30 minutes. But i didnt know what speed or resistance or anything to do on the elliptical. Im so nervous and scared to ask the guy thats there in the afternoon, so i thought maybe yall could be of service! I'd really like to lose about 40 more lbs to be at my goal and i know without some form of exercise i'll never get there. I also would like to do some weight machines and such. I hate my arms and my "second stomach" as i call it right below my belly button. What would be the best for those areas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, im not a runner by any means. When i start jogging on the treadmill i feel as im going to fall off, but i do like to walk outside when its warm. A girl i work with said she'd like to start training to do a 5K run and so we're going to be partners. I found the Couch to 5K link someone posted. Is that the best program to start training? I also hear alot about shoes. Before i bought my 3 months membership to the gym i bought these Adidas Bounce shoes. Are those decent shoes to exercise in?

Thanks again!
victoria R.
on 11/12/08 1:16 am - goose creek, SC

Hilary
3 years ago I walked into the gym 6 weeks after the birth of my last baby.  I had not excercised in years, walking into that gym was very scary, I had a great consultation, signed up and for the first time in my life I actually used my membership.  I am now training for my first triathlon for spring 2009.  You should have had an orientation session where they instruct you on how to use the machines and what you need to do. Do they offer any form of personal training?  Do they offer any classes?  I also like Oxygen & Fitness magazine for excercise tips.  IMO as far as shoes are concerned if your Adidas shoes are comfortable they should be sufficient for what you are doing at this point, in the future you may want to be be fitted at a store where they are experienced in fitting runners/walkers etc. with the proper shoe.  Having an excercise partner is also an asset, keeps you accountable.  Make sure you get your money's worth out of your gym, if you're not happy there find another one.  Good luck and you will love what excercise does for your mind, body and soul.....

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

MaryS
on 11/12/08 8:33 pm - Long Island, NY
Hillary,

You should try and take advantage of the resources available to you at the gym; there should be somebody to show you how to use the equipment.

The couch to 5k program is a great way to get started. Here is a link to another website that has a beginners program plus a lot of information on running www.runningcoach.com . As far as your sneakers are concerned, if you want to run I recommend going to a running store and asking them to fit you with shoes. It is the best investment you can make.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active