Completed half marathon number 2

Joyce65
on 11/10/08 9:02 am - Clovis, CA
Hello,

I have been lurking on OH for some time and periodically posting but never to this portion of the site.  In May I joined Team in Training to train for the San Francisco Nike women's marathon.  With the exception to random games of tennis, I have never been very active.  On November 19th I completed the half marathon (I was on the walking team).  While my finish time was pretty bad (4:17:40), I was happy that I finished (My 10K time was 2:00:23).  On the ride home I let me team mates convince me to sign up for another event.

Yesterday I completed my second half marathon at the Trail of Two Cities in Fresno with a time of 3:42:06.  (My 10K time was 1:41:31).  Again I was very happy with the fact that I finished. 

Now that I have walked two. I would like to start jogging a bit to decrease my time.  If it were not for the fundraising, which was hard, I would do Team in Training again to trainf or a run team but I just can't do it.  Is there a prefered "formula" for beginning to run?
"When the POWER of LOVE is greater than the love of power,
then the world will have peace"
1st surgery/2nd surgery/current/goal     
245/228/194/175
October 19, 2008 Nike Women's Half Marathon *completed*
November 9, 2008 Trail of Two Cities Half Marathon *completed*
May 2, 2009 End of Trail Half Marathon *completed*
May 31, 2009 San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon *completed*
Seht
on 11/10/08 9:18 am
I really liked the couch to 5k program.

here is the link

Congrats on your second half marathon

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 11/10/08 7:40 pm - DE
Congratulations on your two half marathons.  I find that signing up for an event is the biggest challenge.  Finishing is a thrill.
Most people usually try the Couch-to-5k program to start running.  Sign up for a 5k in about a month, and do a walk-run through the 3.1 miles.  Then you can try another one with a little less walk and a little more run.  Good luck.  The key is to stay motivated.
Rob
Scott William
on 11/11/08 12:26 am
There is no such thing as a bad finishing time.  It's only bad if you didn't have the courage to start.  Congrats + 2 !!!!

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Linn D.
on 11/11/08 1:28 am - Missoula, MT
Congrats on your 2 halfs!

Sometimes running clubs have beginning running classes also.  The one here in my town does.  That might be a fun place to start and a way to meet running buddies.  The coaches start everyone from the same place so it's not such a daunting experience.

There are lots of ways to do it.  I started a walk to jog program in June 2004 and was able to run my first half marathon the following January and complete it in 2:21.

It's totally possible, AND it's fun!

Here's to finding what works for you.

Linn
puddin2day
on 11/11/08 7:18 am - Los Angeles, CA
Congrats on completing your 2 half marathons.  I cannot offer any better advise than what have been already posted.  Just wanted to show some support.
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Joyce65
on 11/11/08 11:51 am - Clovis, CA
Thanks for the encouragement and good thoughts.  I looked at the couch to 5k plan and it looks doable.  I will give it a try and I will also look into a running club.  While finishing both events was an accomplishment, I find myself wanting to get better and better:-)  I am setting a goal to enter the San Francisco Nike Womens marathon again but this time as a runner.  That gives me 11 months, I hope that is doable:-)
"When the POWER of LOVE is greater than the love of power,
then the world will have peace"
1st surgery/2nd surgery/current/goal     
245/228/194/175
October 19, 2008 Nike Women's Half Marathon *completed*
November 9, 2008 Trail of Two Cities Half Marathon *completed*
May 2, 2009 End of Trail Half Marathon *completed*
May 31, 2009 San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon *completed*
Mamaz2ndbaby
on 11/11/08 11:18 pm
Joyce, congrats on the 2 halfs.  I'm a beginner runner and I can only imagine the sense of accomplishment you must feel.  Keep up the great work!!
victoria R.
on 11/12/08 3:12 am - goose creek, SC
Joyce
Welcome!!! I'm a newbie on this forum too.  I have found a wealth of information and inspiration from this forum.  I am training for my very first sprint triathon next spring.  At this point all I care about is finishing it and hopefully not last. 

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

MaryS
on 11/12/08 8:36 pm - Long Island, NY
Congratulations on your 2 half marathons. You did a great job already with improving your time and with the motivation you seem to have I don't doubt that you will continue to improve. Here is another running site you might want to check out, it has some great information: www.runningcoach.com. Best of luck to you.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Most Active