Out of the comfort zone

Seht
on 11/10/08 7:19 am
I have finally signed up for a longer run.  I'm going to do a 10k on Nov 22nd, which is double my longest to date.  I have been doing 5k's in the gym and have a couple 2 mile runs as part of some sprint triathlons.

I still have this horrible mental feeling that I am setting myself up for failure.  I just can't picture myself running that far.  I have spent all my life avoiding running until I had my surgery.

I guess this will be a good test.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 11/10/08 8:51 am, edited 11/10/08 8:51 am - Missoula, MT
I think that's a great idea, Scott!

When I did my first 10k, the farthest I'd run was 5 miles.  Everyone convinced me that was enough, and they were right.  It worked out just fine. 

At this point, a running goal is a good idea for you since I think you struggle with it mentally more than physically.  I have no doubt you can do it.

Linn
saxman007
on 11/10/08 9:36 am - Port Huron, MI
 Go for it!!!  Getting ready for my marathon I set my goal (which was slow) and as I talked with other people I truly realized that we run against ourselves.  The goal is the finish line, not being last is a bonus!!  If you're last you probably don't care because of the journey we take to get to the finish line.
Have fun and just get to the finish line.  If you can do a 5K aim for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes slower/mile for the 10K and you'll probably end with plenty of energy.
Good luck, just be careful -- next on the list may be 13.1 or 26.2!!!
victoria R.
on 11/10/08 11:31 am - goose creek, SC
Go for it!  I'm sure you can do it!

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

kypdurran
on 11/10/08 12:53 pm - Baton Rouge, LA
It'll be cake man.  Compared to even a sprint tri a 10K will be a walk in the park.
Rob S.
on 11/10/08 7:43 pm - DE
How can you fail.  Get to the starting line and give it your best.  As long as you finish before they start retrieving the cones, who cares about your time.  No one says you have to run the whole distance.  If you take a couple of short walk breaks, no one even notices.  Just have fun with it.
Rob
Scott William
on 11/11/08 12:30 am
First of all, of course you can finish and I guarantee that there will be no failure.  You may not be able to run that far but I know that you can finish.  I even threw a walk break into my 5K PR of 24:17 and my 10K PR also.  Anyway, you have done the hard part by signing up!  Go for it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kim27sd
on 11/11/08 11:40 am - Sioux Falls, SD

Instead of picturing yourself not running that far..picture yourself running across the finish line and telling yourself that you can do it because you can! When you prove it to yourself it will be the best feeling! One of my professors once told me something that I now tell myself when I feel as if I am going to fail at something....You only fail if you quit! I am certainly not going to quit at something I want. Have a positive attitude, tell yourself that you can do it and picture yourself doing it and you will. We  all believe in you!

Mamaz2ndbaby
on 11/12/08 9:19 pm
Hey Scott, just want you to know I'm rooting for you.
Most Active