Workout Funk!!

Kevin A.
on 10/29/08 4:18 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
I've been MIA from posting on this board but I'm still here lurking around. It been hard to keep myself motived so how can I help anyone else?? I still running and in the gym 2-3 times a week but I'm not working out as hard and its starting to show!! I think I'm going to have to find a new challege?? What that is I don't know??
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Kirsten :-)
on 10/29/08 5:39 am - Agoura Hills, CA
There's this triathlon I know about coming up....sounds like a perfect new challenge for you! 
Kevin A.
on 10/29/08 5:45 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Nope!!! But you have fun with that!!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Scott William
on 10/30/08 1:18 am

What's up man.  It had been a while.  I am with you.  I still run 3-4 times a week but am lifting only 1 or 2 times a week and I feel a little flabby.  I should say, " flabbier than when I feel all jacked up".  I don't know what it is and lord knows that I have enough trouble with the 26.2 but have you thought about doing an ultra.  A 50K is only 5 miles farther than a marathon. and it has some pretty cool bragging rights.

How about biking.  That is my next step in the spring.  I am going to get a cheap bike just in case I hate it. 

Do you have any desire to climb mountains?  One of mine is to do the Mt Washington road race.  It's 7.6 miles with a 4500 foot gain in elevation.  The problem is that it's a lottery race and I havn't gotten in yet.

Here is another suggestion.  Try to improve your shorter distance races.  Maybe set some goals for a 5 or 10K that would be tough to hit and get on the track for some speed work.

???  Got to be something out there to get the blood flowing again.

After this winter's marathons, I am putting them down for a while.  I want to work on running faster in the shorter races.

Good luck man.

Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Kevin A.
on 11/3/08 2:14 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thanks Scott for some great ideas!! I don't think I want to go any long than 26.2 well maybe nothing over 13.1 at the moment!! But I did do the Bike tour of the Long Beach Marathon a few weeks ago. It was the first time on a bike in over 20 years and it was fun!! I also thought about do some Trail Races!!

I guess I just need to change my out look on my workouts!! I forget where I was 3 years ago and how much better my life because of the changes I've made!!

Thanks!!
MaryS
on 11/2/08 8:54 am - Long Island, NY
Kevin,

I totally understand what you are saying. I think we've met some big goals and now have to keep up the fitness level for the sake of keeping up the fitness level - definitely not as easy to do. What about trying something to complement your running like yoga or biking? I also like Scott's ideas of doing an ultra or getting faster at the shorter distances. I know that I also have to find my next goal. Right now it is to take it a little bit easier and get rid of my injuries, but then what is next?? Good luck with figuring out what works for you. Keep us posted on what you do, I for one will be curious to find out what works for you and maybe get some more ideas.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Kevin A.
on 11/3/08 3:58 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
Thanks Mary!!

Yea it was easier to workout when I was trying to meet some new goal. But now what?? Get faster?? Run longer?? I found that I do still like runnning but I guess the hardest part is getting out there. I going to look in to finding some new things to keep my workouts interesting..

Heal up so you can get back out there soon!!

Take Care!!

OCD
on 11/5/08 10:47 pm - Mexia, TX
If you decide to get on the bike I will be out there to do a century ride in Solvang California on March 14. There are other distances but that's my goal.
  Leadership reflects attitude.

Most Active