Training for a Triathlon?

Jeff B.
on 10/30/08 2:47 pm, edited 10/30/08 2:49 pm - Gilbert, AZ
For triathlon training I would recommend you do a couple of things:

(1) Do some research on your heart rate and get a monitor. It is critical for you to learn what your resting, aerobic and anerobic heart rates are. This will not only help you to zone your workouts, but it will allow you to control your workouts and help to understand your body's capabilities. You dont' want to work anerobically and just burn your body's fuel, work most of your workout aerobically and burn a majority of fat.

(2) Use the upright bikes in the spinning classes. I would do that a few times to get used to feeling those muscle groups and then join a spinning class. This would be the best thing you could do for yourself as far as bike goes.

(3) GET IN THE POOL! It is one thing to think you can handle 400 meters but keep in mind, you need to have enough reserve in the tank to complete 10+ miles on the bike and 3 miles in the run. Research techniques and learn to swivle and use less bruit force / strength and more technique to help you keep reserved energy while putting up good times.

(4) Don't push yourself on the run. Running while you are still heavy (5 weeks out from surgery) could really damage your knees and back. I would get used to walking the distance. In a month, start jogging 1/4 and walking 1/4 etc...

I would also not do these exercises every day. Swim one day, bike the next then run and on the fourth day, cut them all in 1/2 and do all three. Take a break the next day and do something else like pilates or something to confuse your muscle groups, but make sure you stay in your target heart rate zones.

Sorry for the novel but I hope this information helps give some direction. I'm not a professional athlete but this is how I tackled things initially.

Jeff
MacMadame
on 10/30/08 2:54 pm - Northern, CA
I need lots of direction.

Today I am sore all over from just walking on the treadmill yesterday. I really pushed myself because I wanted to do 2 miles, but now I think it's a mistake.

I think I can't do this 4 days in a row and have to have some resting days in there. My 51 year old body can't take that.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active