I need a begginers running plan

Kenna C.
on 10/27/08 4:59 am - Demopolis, AL
I want to start running and I am pretty much non-active now.  I have always had the desire to run,  I feel like it will be a good stress releiver as well as get me in shape.  Can anyone offer a plan to help me get started. 

New year...New  begining..............

kypdurran
on 10/27/08 7:57 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hi Kenna.  Do you have any local running stores in your area?   If you do then that would be a great place to start.   A lot of times they have beginners running groups that set a goal of running a 5K that's off in the distance.   Usually they will train once or twice a week and send you home with 'homework' to do some training on your own.   My girlfriend got involved in one and she will hopefully be doing her first 5K at the beginning of next year.   She really enjoys it and she went from the couch to running in less than a month.  

Best of luck!

Chad

saxman007
on 10/27/08 8:03 am - Port Huron, MI
 Careful what you wish for, lol.  Lots of people follow the couch-to-5K plan; http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
I'm assuming that you're walking now?  If so just start doing short runs while walking.  If you're not the easiest place to start may be on a track at a local school.  I found it so depressing how little I could run before needing to walk that I was thankful to be able to mark my progress by how much of the lap I was able to complete.  When out on the roads/trails aim for mailboxes/landmarks to make it to before you go back to walking.  
Repeat several times a week and enjoy the great feelings you'll eventually be getting!
--Sax

MaryS
on 10/27/08 9:38 am - Long Island, NY
The couch to 5k program mentioned above is a great way to start. I've found joining a class is helpful because it makes me more accountable. One other suggestion, go to a running store and get yourself fitted with a good pair of running shoes. It is the best investment you can make for running.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Kim27sd
on 10/28/08 2:38 am - Sioux Falls, SD
I recommend the Couch to 5k program that other posters had suggested also. When I decided that I wanted to run a 5k the couch to 5k is what I started with. I found a 5k far enough out to give me enough time to train...think it was like 6 to 8 months out. So I could take the program at my own speed where I felt comfortable and wasn't doing damage to my knees since I started it I was still over 200 pounds. I first started running on a treadmill at the gym, then gradually started running outside to get used to the elements and now prefer to run outside(time seems to go faster and its scenic) I just completed my first 5k on Oct 18 with a time of 32:40 which is about 10:45 a mile. Once you start it is very addicting! Best of luck, you will do great!

Kim

Most Active