Running Faster

Monica P.
on 10/20/08 1:44 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
I completed the Long beach Half Marathon about a week ago. (yay me!) My average pace per mile was about 16:45.

Next summer, I want to run the San Francisco Half Marathon. I was reading the website's infomation and learned that there is a required 13:45.

So here are my questions:

How do I train to run faster? How do I run speed drills to improve my pace?

and

Is it possible to increase your pace by 3 minutes within 9 months of consistent training?

Thanks in advance...
Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

Sherry_Berry
on 10/20/08 10:18 pm - Dacula, GA
yes! You can improve your pace that quickly.

First, what is your running regimin? How far? Days a week? Run/walk program or just a really slow jog?

Here's the thing about "speedwork." It's very hard on your body. Even as a 2 time Ironman I have to be careful b/c for a lot of folks, esp women, speedwork leads to injury.

A lot of times you think a slow place is comfortable...but if I go too slow my body will hurt. I wonder if picking up the pace a little would help you.
Monica P.
on 10/21/08 2:12 am - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with

My usual regimen is as follows:

Mon-Thurs: a short run (3.2 miles). I do a run/walk and my current ratio is 1:1.  Sometimes I try doing a 2:1 but my time ends up being about the same.

If I'm training for an upcoming event I do a long run on Saturday morning (7-12 miles)

Friday and Sunday is rest day.

Yesterday morning I tried doing this drill I had read about on a 1-mile stretch of park in my neighborhood. I walked for 30 seconds, jogged for 30 seconds, and then did a full-speed run for 30 seconds.  I couldn't complete the whole mile....but it was good to sweat like that again! 

I know that improving my spped is going to mean harder runs, I think I'm a little afraid to go faster. I sitll have 50 pounds to lose and I'm worried about the stress on my joints.

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

stellalukin
on 10/21/08 5:41 am - Cambridge, MA
For me the answer is tempo runs. Those are timed runs where you run at a slightly more than comfortable pace. I started with 30 minute tempo runs and now I do 45-50 minutes.
When I started my "quick" pace was 5.7 mph, and now I'm up to 6.7.
They are a little rough, though. I only do them once per week.

Also short speed bursts are very helpful I've found. Someone once told me the best way to run faster is to do just that- run faster, which sounded idiotic to me at the time, but turns out it's actually true!
"Another day.  Another chance to feel healthy."  

EndorphineJunkie
on 10/21/08 7:43 am - Sweat City, CA
:wave: Monica!!!  :kiss:
Set your Goals high, and don't stop till you get there. ~Bo Jackson~
Most Active