Question on runnin, can anyone help me?

Nijaz79
on 10/20/08 12:59 pm
Ok so I have never been a runner, in fact i always hated it when I was younger, but I have always envied the people that can run marathons and run to stay heealth. SO I have decided Im going to try to become one of these people. So my question is how do I get started?????? Not exactly sure if there is a way to ease into running long distance, I cant run on tredmills they make me dizzy. Can anyone help with some advise?
Monica P.
on 10/20/08 1:47 pm - Long Beach, CA
RNY on 07/19/07 with
I was the same way. The story of how I became a 'runner' is on my profile...I started small and gradually took on bigger challenges. 

If you want to begin by running/walking a 5k, there's a great "couch to 5k" traning regimen on www.coolrunnings.com

You'd be surprised how much your new lighter body can do, it's amazing!
Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

saxman007
on 10/21/08 1:41 am - Port Huron, MI
 You'll probably find that a lot of us on here that run were in the same boat.  I don't really know why I started to run, I guess it's a Forest Gump type of moment.  I had been walking about 5 miles a day and decided I needed to go faster.  I was so scared of looking like an idiot that I waited to go to a high school track after sunset and try to run.  My first attempt was about the length of the strait portion of the track and I really thought I was going to die.  After doing some walking/running I got maybe 1/2 way around the track while 'running'.  The next time I went out in my neighborhood I did the 'make it that mailbox' routine.  Short goals at first and then combine the goals.  I remember vividly the first time I made it 1 mile and the first time I made it through the 5K mark.  They felt like huge accomplishments -- and they ARE!  
Treadmills:  the first time I used one was when I was still walking and not running.  I was on it for an hour.  Well, when I got off I damn near fell on my a$$, lol.  I must've looked like a huge fool in the gym that day!!  When I was on my vacation this summer I had to use them and you really will get used to them pretty quick.   I still hate running on them, it's just too easy to stop sooner than you should.  
Good luck on this, if you find that you don't enjoy it find another activity to get physical in!  I love biking and running because it gets me outside.  I don't know if there's anything like a walk/run at night during a mild snowstorm.  Just such a sense of calm and peace.
--Sax 
Vampi
on 10/22/08 10:43 pm - Mandeville, LA
Hi, I just started walking in late August/early Sept. with my neighbor.  We would walk as far as we could.  Eventually that got to 3 miles and we were very happy with that.  Then one day she mentioned running to the end of the block which was only about 200 feet.  Well, we have been adding onto that little by little.  We run during portions of our walk.

Anyway, the I think the best way to get started is to just get out there and move.  I am reading a book called "No Need for Speed - The Beginner's Guide to the Joy of Running" by John Bingham.  I am glad to have this book now that I am coming up on my first 5k. 

Here's a bit about it from Amazon.com (Got my copy on eBay for .99 cents)-

You don't have to run fast to be a real runner!"

John Bingham, "the patron saint of the back of the pack," commands "The Penguin Brigade"-- those thousands of dedicated runners who have learned that the greatest joy in their sport comes not from how fast they go or how thin they become, but from simply having the courage to take the first step.

Now Bingham shares the wisdom that took him from couch potato to columnist for Runner's World magazine. No Need for Speed explores both the why and the how of running for the rest of us. With information both practical (how to find the right running shoes for you, when to enter a race, what to eat before a run) and inspirational (focus on where you are instead of where you want to be, accepting the body you have, the beauty of being realistic about goals), Bingham extends a trusted hand and expert advice to beginners and veterans alike.

Good luck!!

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Most Active