The Tale of Three Gyms!!

RaeRae1
on 10/19/08 11:23 am - Waterbury, CT
Hello everyone!!  My name is Rae.  I usually post over on the Main Board or the RYN Board but I had an excercise specific question that I thought you all could answer.

My surgery was on 8/11/08.  I am currently down 42 pounds and I feel great!!  However, I really feel that my exercise program leaves a lot to be desired so I have been researching the best gym to join to help me on this journey. 

So there are three gyms that I am currently looking at: Bally's (did I spell that right?), Planet Fitness and the YMCA.

I am looking at the Pro's and cons of each but just wanted to get a basic opinion from people who are "old pros" and maybe you are familiar with these places (or places like it). 

Balley's is about 5 minutes from my home.  It's a bit pricey and my understanding is that you can only go 3 times a week.  They do have the classes that I would like to take such as spinning and Pilate's. Balley's offers a 2 week trial membership and they have personal trainers that could help me with a program specific for my needs.

Planet Fitness: Is the furthest away from my house and my job.  It is more in my budget as it is only $10.00 a month with a $39.00 annual fee.  It is a 24 hour gym with a lot of equipment. They call it the Judgment free zone.  They don't have trainers but  there are probably people there willing to assist with a specific program if needed.  Although the price is good,  It's not really about the money as it is about the distance.   It's waayyy across town and I know that it would be a hindrance to me going to the gym on a regular basis.

Lastly, The YMCA.  Conveniently located a block away from my job.  I'm a state employee so the price is discounted (about $21.00 a month) and it is a taken directly from my payroll.  It is a large gym, plenty of equipment, the classes that I feel that I need to take are readily available (spinning, aerobics, racquetball, step classes etc).   They too have trainers  that I could utilize for an additional fee.

The other option is to keep doing what I'm doing at home, which is some free weights and the tony Little Gazelle.  I feel so unmotivated doing that and quite honestly, I'm bored with it. But its free and the most convenient...LOL

I don't' know if I'm really asking a question; I just don't want to waste time and money.  I want the BEST gym for me and my exercise needs.  I know that Bailey's is a world renowned gym, I'm not sure if Planet Fitness is just relative to my location and I know that a lot of cities have YMCA's. I guess I'm looking to see if anyone has any feedback? 

Sorry this was so long. Just really anxious to kick my exercise program up a notch or two!!

For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

Kim27sd
on 10/19/08 12:51 pm - Sioux Falls, SD
From what you stated about all three gyms I think that the YMCA would be your best option. The price is right and it is close to your workplace so it would be so easy to make part of your daily routine. Plus you will have the personal trainers to help you as you need it since you are just starting out.
When joining my gym I first started working out with a trainer and to help me get a work out routine and to teach me some great exercises. Now whenever I need help I know I can go to any of the trainers and ask questions and have them help me change up my routine and give me advice that I need.

Good Luck!

RaeRae1
on 10/20/08 3:05 am - Waterbury, CT
Thank you so much. I'm going with the YMCA. 

For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

puju11
on 10/19/08 9:42 pm - NJ
I agree with Kim your gym needs to be affordable and mostly convenient to get to. My gym is 4 min. away and trust me as much as I love to exercise I would never travel to far. Also if I were you I would definitely take advantage of the trainers if they are good you should see results and they make you accountable to be there. I love mine!!
RaeRae1
on 10/20/08 3:06 am - Waterbury, CT
I totally agree.  I'm going to go with the YMCA because they have trainers available and I know they will make me accountable. Thanks so much for your response!!

Seht
on 10/20/08 7:22 pm
I can't speak for your Y, but I love the one in my home town, very comfortable, great classes, and not a meathead steroid user haven. 

Good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

RaeRae1
on 10/20/08 9:28 pm - Waterbury, CT
LOL. I hear you.  I'm really hoping that all goes well. I'm going today after work but I think that I will go at various times for the first couple of weeks just to see where I would best fit it. Thanks.

Garys
on 10/23/08 1:15 pm - Mesa, AZ
I will add my vote for your local "Y"

My YMCA is very much a "Judgement Free Zone" , well kept up, cheap and close to my house.

Just about everyone is exceptionally respectful and polite.

I wish they had longer sunday hours but I guess you can't have everything.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

Most Active