unsure if abdominal exercises will work????

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/08 10:44 am - NY

My Husband will have RNY Dec 19th. I would like to follow next year. In the mean time I want to start exercising and eating better. In 1999 I had abdominal surgery. I had a desmoid tumor removed. It was very large (almost 8lbs).They were not sure what it was at the time of surgery or what they were going to do. I could wake up with no spleen,left lobe of the liver removed as well as a bowel resection.What they did find was this fibrous tumor was all in my muscles and not in the peritoneum. I was told my left side of the abdominal rectus muscle is removed. Now what does that mean for exercising? When I do stomach exercises I really do not feel anything,but I am very overweight. Once this muscle is cut can you strengthen the obliques or the rt side at all???? If anyone knows I would be greatfull. I want to taylor the exercises to what will work for my situation.

Thankyou

dasloaf
on 10/25/08 10:11 am - brighton, MI
Talk to your Dr but I would just do it.  The better shape you go in to surgery the better the recovery.  If you go in and just do cardio, that will make you feel better and recover quicker. 
Most Active