My First 5k tomorrow

Kim27sd
on 10/16/08 10:10 pm - Sioux Falls, SD

I know almost everyone here is a runner and looking for any advice you may have on running a 5k race? I have been training for this race for the last 4 months and now that it is tomorrow I am getting very nervous and the fat girl thoughts are starting to set in. I am nervous about the weather, if I will finish, if  I can do it. I know I can do it and I am going to prove it to myself that I can!

Elisa K.
on 10/16/08 11:05 pm - Lumberton, NJ
You can do it Kim!!  I am running my 4th 5k tomorrow, and I still get the same jitters, even though I run 3.75 miles 3 times per week!!  Crazy - isn't it?!?  You will be just great!!

I have a little advice - try not to get caught up with everyone starting out quick - it is so easy to run faster than you are used to at the start of the race - run at your own pace - you don't want to poop out after a few miles.  You will be surprised how many people start too quick, then burn out.

Best of luck, and most importantly, enjoy yourself!!! 
puddin2day
on 10/17/08 12:45 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Kim

Congrats on running your first 5K.  My advice to you is to not overdress. Always dress for 15 to 20 degrees lower than what the current temp is.   Once you start running , you will warm up very quickly and if you overdress, you will overheat.  Have fun.  I cannot wait to hear the post-race recap.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Seht
on 10/17/08 3:16 am
Congrats and good luck.

Run at your own pace.  I found that with my first race, I actually ran an 11 minute pace for 2 miles, it was just a 3k race.  Well I had never run that fast before.  I was a little beat at the end of the race.  The adrenaline and others on the course will help.

I just kept picturing dory from the Nemo movie.  Instead of just keep swimming, I kept saying just keep running. 

And you know what, if you have to take a walk break then so be it, the important thing is that you are out there doing it. 

Keep up the positive outlook.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Rob S.
on 10/17/08 3:34 am - DE

Don't worry about it.  We know you can do it.  The important thing is to start the race.  Once you start you just want to finish.  Don't worry about how long or whether there are people ahead or behind you.  Just have fun.  Plenty of time later on to start thinking about PRs.  Right now just decide to enjoy yourself.
Rob

misstilly
on 10/17/08 4:34 am - Cosby, TN
Kim you can do it.  I am doing my 4-5K tomorrow.  I still get nervous also.  when I did my first I said that I would fini**** even if I had to walk across the finish line, well i didn't I ran across.  Just find someone that is going a easy pace and run with them.  I did that and ended up passing them.  I did take walking breaks, there is nothing to be ashamed in doing that.  You will see other people doing that too.
Good Luck.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Most Active