Maximizing FAT loss with LOTS of Cardio? REPOST

sablouwho
on 10/16/08 2:29 am - La La Land, CA
I posted this late in the PM last night Pacific time so I'm not sure if anyone has seen it. I posted n the main board too but unfortunately didn't get any helpful replies there. Please chime in if you know about exercise!

Is there a limit to how much fat one can loose by increasing time spent doing cardio (in the correct fat-burning heart rate range?) In other words, does the body keep burning fat as long as there is still fat to burn when it is exercised (cardio) in the fat burning heart rate zone?

I'm wondering how much more fat I can loose by upping my cardio. I'm willing/able to do cardio for 90-120 minutes 5 days/week. Right now I probably do about 1 hour of cardio 4-5 days/week.

For what it's worth, I just did a VO2 sub max test which tells me what heart rate I need to work out at to maximize fat loss. I know from this test how many fat calories I burn/minute at various heart rates. I was so happy to see my results because the test is showing that I don't have to work out nearly as hard as I thought to loose fat. In fact, my fat burning pace is a heart rate of 105-112--this is even lower than the standard HR calculation from the Karnoven formula(220 minus my age, times 60-65% or 80-85%) which for me was 135-140 at the low end to  158-163. So I can comfortably exercise at my fat burning max HR for a while at this heart rate without getting too tired since it is lower than what the formulas state. FWIW, the rate of perceived exertion "test" was also innacurate and had me working out too hard.

Please note--I am well aware of the benefits of strength training and I do this kind of exercise as well.  My question is specifically about burning MORE fat through increasing  time spent doing cardio.
Cassie W.
on 10/16/08 8:53 am
It's my understanding that the "fat-burning zone" is a myth.  To maximize weight loss, the key still boils down to the calorie deficit created between what you consume and what you burn.  So, if you work out longer and create a greater calorie deficit, then theoretically you will lose more weight.  Many of the articles that I've read about exercise tout the benefits of interval training.  Here's a link to one of the articles in Prevention Magazine that discusses the Fat Burning Zone Myth and the value of interval training:  www.prevention.com/cda/article/busting-the-fat-burning-zone- myth/9f3868f271903110VgnVCM10000013281eac____/weight.loss/we ight.loss.coaches

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

sablouwho
on 10/16/08 12:18 pm - La La Land, CA
I agree with the idea of working out longer to burn more calories. That is in fact what I was wondering about--whether there is a point of diminishing returns or a point at which our bodies just say "nope, I am not going to cooperate anymore". (Kind of like when people go into starvation mode when cutting calories)

What I am confused about though is this--I have had my target heart rate and fat burning checkout out with a VO2 sub-max test. My cardio program is based on those test results but it definitely includes interval training. But the test also did indicate that I stop burning fat completely at 60% of my target heart rate.  So it seems to me that spending a long time above that heart rate doesn't make much sense. 

Also, since I want to burn fat, I guess it just seems like it makes sense to spend time doing just that. But I do also want to increase metabolism too.

Any ex phys types here who can shed more light on this?
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/16/08 11:29 pm - Fort Worth, TX
There are two different types of excercise you can do.... Aerobic and Anaerobic. When you reference " Fat loss Zone" you are probably refereing to the Aerobic state....When you go above your Max Heart Rate you are in an anaerobic state. Heres the difference......When you are in an aerobic state, your body burns stored fat for fuel. When you are in an Anaerobic state, your body burns carbs for fuel. You stated you were doing cardio for 90-120 minutes for 5-6 days p/ week. Are you training for something? Normally, folks who are training for endurance sports like marathon, cycling, etc... tend to work more in the Aerobic state to build up their "Base". When you build a solid base, your body learns to metabolize food much quicker and burns quite a bit of fat for fuel. After a strong base is built, then comes the interval training with Anaerobic spurts mixed in. Also, I recommend strength training. By building muscle, your body will also tend to burn fat much quicker as well. A good strength training regimen, coupled with aerobic workouts, whether it be in swimming, running, cycling, etc... will ensure success. I have found that when I eat between 1500 - 2000 calories p/ day, I lose more weight than trying to stay around 1000 calories and have a huge deficit. Maybe your body needs more food. Compared to when I was obese, I used to think of food as "food" and sought emotional stimulation from eating it. Now I look at food as simply fuel, and I try to make good choices regarding the food I take in and simply think about what kind of energy am I going to recieve from the food that goes down the hatch. Anyways, hope this helps a little, and I wish you continued success.

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

sablouwho
on 10/17/08 1:24 am - La La Land, CA
Hi Dan,

You stated you were doing cardio for 90-120 minutes for 5-6 days p/ week. Are you training for something? Oh, I am not currently doing cardio for 90-120 min 5-6 days per week--what I meant was that is the amount of time I think I can realistically devote to cardio. Currently I am doing about 60-90 minutes of cardio 3-4 times per week. Sometimes I just do a dance fitness class for an hour at the gym, but after class I sometimes hop on an elliptical or treadmill for 20-30 minutes. Also, I do aquajogging sometimes as I love being in the water (and I can do some strength training in the water too.) Also, I am just beginning an interval training program.

REALLY though, I guess the reason I am wondering about maximizing fat loss is that I am IMPATIENT!  I've lost 46 pounds in the 4 months since surgery--and I admit that I've only really gotten into doing cardio with regularity in the past few months--the first few months post-op I wasn't so good with my frequency of cardio, but was doing my PT and Pilates stuff quite regularly. I am down 60 pounds from my weight this time last year, and I'm down 87 pounds from my highest known weight (which was 3 years ago). In my mind my goal weight is 115-125 because I remember being a little pudgy at 135 as a freshman in college (of course I may not have had much muscle tone). I'm 182 as of this morning so to get to 115 I would need to loose 67 pounds, to get to 125 I'd need to loose 57 pounds, or 47 pounds to get back to 135. (I should mention that I am 5'-3.5" -- not all that tall. But yeah, it will be hard to know how I will look at 135 -- I might look a lot better at that weight than I did in college because of the strength training I'm doing now.

Also, I recommend strength training.  My strength training program isn't full blown yet. this is because I am in physical therapy and my PT is "in charge" of my strength training program right now because I have some injuries (I don't think that they were directly related to my having been heavy) that I need to be careful about. But seeing as I just joined re-joined my gym, I want to do more strength training than just the stuff I do in the presence of my PT (and she's going me the go-ahead to do this). I found a trainer at the gym who used to work as a PT assistant and she's very willing to take direction from my PT, so soon I will be doing full-on strength training. FWIW, in addition to working w/my PT, I also do Pilates and Gyrotonics with other practitioners in my PT's office. They are really into cross-modalities, so it's a great place to go.

So really, the reason for my post is that I'm looking for ways to make this fat go away ASAP...I guess in a way it's a vanity thing. I know I look better now that I've lost weight, I can see it in the reactions of my friends and the way my clothes fit. Yes, I did do this for my health, but there are times that I want to feel pretty and attractive and I know with less fat on my body I'd feel better.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/17/08 2:14 am - Fort Worth, TX
9 Months ago I weighed 400 Pounds. Today I weigh 221. 179 pounds in 9 months by doing mainly cardio & strength training. I have found that I feel better about myself because I am accomplishing fitness goals like running 10 miles without stopping, or swimming 2.5 miles without stopping, competing in triathlons, etc... I find more happiness and satisfaction in accomplishing these goals versus just focusing on my clothing size. Be patient, have fun, and stay off the scale, all will be well. Best of luck

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

sablouwho
on 10/17/08 2:35 am - La La Land, CA
Wow, Dan, that's awesome. Congrats!

I cannot say if things are different for a man than for a woman ...  all I know is my own experience.

Being heavy is certainly not the only reason that things in my life haven't been hard sometimes, but I do know that my excess weight has definitely contributed to the pain I've experience in my life. It negatively effects my self-confidence, I believe it had an effect in the workplace, and I am CERTAIN that is has had a negative effect on my dating life. As a divorced gal in her 30's I'd very much like to get married again. Feeling comfortable about the way I look matters to me. I know some might say this is vain and I can't argue with them.

I feel like my weight kept me from living my life. So I wanna get this fat off my body because it represents more than just a lack of optimum health, it represents many lost opportunities in my past.

Thankfully there are some cute guys who go to my gym (I live in Los Angeles--there are a lot of models and actors there in addition to the regular people who work out there!). Recently one of them (an actor/model) was on the treadmill next to me talked to me as we were working out (though he was just making conversation, he wasn't asking me for my number.) But being treated like a normal human being by one of "the beautiful people" was a big deal for me--espcially in this kind of environment. 

Who knows, maybe I will meet some nice guy at the gym. Doesn't have to be my eventual husand, but even someone I could date would be nice! But even if I don't, I get to burn off the fat!
Most Active