elliptical vs treadmill??

labgab29
on 10/16/08 8:04 am - TX
 Since winter is coming was thinking of buying an elliptical or treadmill,  but only have up to $350 to spend...what is your opinion and do you have a specific one you use?? what brand etc... thanks for the reply!! lisa
Garys
on 10/16/08 3:18 pm - Mesa, AZ
I would get a free pass for a Gym or the Y and try both out.

I have been using a treadmill for several months and have just started to mix in some eliptical training.

The treadmill works goods at burning calories a getting a good sweat in.

The eliptical works some different muscles in my legs that the treamill does not so I figure I am getting the best of both worlds.

One thing to look at also is the weights that each machine will support. 

The treadmill at the local Y will support up to 400 lbs (I started using it at 397) but the eliptical I believe is only rated to 350 lbs ( I am 309 currently so I am OK).

I think that some of the cheaper home machines support less weight  

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

Seht
on 10/17/08 1:34 am
Deffinitely try them both first.  The eliptical is supposed to be less impact, but I can't do it.  It hurts my hips to use the eliptical, while I have no problems on the treadmill.

Most gyms will give you a day to try stuff out, of course they will try to sell you a membership too.  I believe someone posted a link the other day that 24 hour fitness had a special at Costco for around 300.00 you could purchase a 2 year membership.  The Y is usually a good choice as well, and I think you can get a day pass for 5.00 to the Y.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

dasloaf
on 10/25/08 10:15 am - brighton, MI
Neither, I would join a gym.  This is the main reason.  I'm paying for it so I go.  I work out in the morning and the support and friendship you make, is worth the cost.  A tread mill or any other equipment will be a clothes hanger.  I know, I got one in my bed room.  Join a gym, make friends, get a variety of equipment and you will feel better, unless you are low on closet space.
Most Active