Decided to just do it

Seht
on 10/15/08 9:35 am
After all the great advice here, I have decided to just dive in and start signing up for longer races.  I have added a little extra motivation as well.  My son has autism and I found the Run4Autism association, kind of like Team in Training.  I have set a personal goal of 200+ miles in race conditions over the next 12 months.  If anyone is interested in tracking my progress or making a donation my page can be found here 

My first race is Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 it is the Davis Turkey Trot 10K.  This will be my longest run to date, actually it is double anything I have done before.

Wish me luck.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Cassie W.
on 10/15/08 9:59 am
Scott,

Running for such a personal cause will certainly bring you an additional sense of accomplishment every time you cross the finish line.   You'll be amazed at how fast your body will adapt to the longer distances. I actually find 10Ks easier to run because it still takes me the first mile just to warm up and find my groove.  With a 5K, the race is over about the time that I've settled into a nice pace.

Good luck with your new adventures!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

MaryS
on 10/15/08 12:19 pm - Long Island, NY
Scott,

As Cassie said, your runs will be that much more meaningful when they are for such a great cause. Congrats on signing up for the 10k!

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Deanna34
on 10/15/08 12:48 pm - Salem, OR
Hi Scott!

I don't think you'll have any problem at all.  Like Cassie said, I like 10Ks better because it takes me a good mile or two to loosen up and get into the groove.  Plus, I like saying I just ran 6.2 miles!  Woo hoo!

You'll love it!

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

puddin2day
on 10/15/08 1:07 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Scott,

That is great news to hear.  You can do it.  There is nothing like running further and crossing that finish line, plus you are supporting a great cause.
You will do well.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Most Active