Running Update and Question

puddin2day
on 10/15/08 4:28 am - Los Angeles, CA
HI Everyone,

I e-mailed my pcp to ask him about the cramping in my legs and not getting full lung capacity while running.  He replied back that the cramps that I have been experiencing are "generally either from low potassium or calcium level, dehydration or inadequate stretching before a run".  He also suggested that I don't take spironolactone (hypertension medicine) and take extra potassium with me.  He also said that if I am running , then my lungs are definitely very strong, and that I might have exercise induced asthma.  So, I have scheduled a medical appointment to see my dr. so we can discuss these issues in more detail.

Ok, here is my question.  After a race, are your legs sore and if so, how long does it take for you to feel normal again?

Once again, I want to thank all of you for your support, kind words and encouragement.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Sherry_Berry
on 10/15/08 5:48 am - Dacula, GA
It depends how "hard" I go during a race. An Ironman will take me 2-3 days before I feel normal.

A half mary one.
puddin2day
on 10/16/08 5:53 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Sherry,

I feel like my normal self today.

Kim

Deanna34
on 10/15/08 11:15 am - Salem, OR
Hi Kim!

My leg pain varies depending on how long the run was and what the hill situation was.  Usually after a 10K that isn't too hilly, my legs will be sore that day but better by the next day.  After my half marathon, they were sore for about 2 days and then felt tired, but not sore after that.

Deanna  :)

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin."
--Grace Hansen

Weight lost:  140 pounds

puddin2day
on 10/15/08 12:53 pm - Los Angeles, CA

Deanna,

Today, I noticed that most of the soreness is gone and my legs are a little tired.   Yesterday, walking down stairs was difficult and I found alternate routes to get where I needed to go.  Today, it is much better; my legs feel stronger and more normal.

Thank you,
Kim 

puddin2day
on 10/16/08 5:54 am - Los Angeles, CA
Deanna,

Today, my legs feel great. Three days to recup isn't bad.   Thank you for replying.  
Kim

MaryS
on 10/15/08 12:17 pm - Long Island, NY
Kim,

The soreness gets better with time. I find I am less sore after races now that when I first starting running. I remember I could hardly walk after my first half marathon - my legs immediately started cramping up. Are you doing ice baths after your long runs - they really do help. I couldn't bring myself to do them last year, but I have this year and they do make a difference.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

puddin2day
on 10/15/08 12:57 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Mary,

That is my attitude toward ice baths now--cannot bring myself to doing them.  For a quicker recovery, I might have to start.  After my longer runs while practicing, I don't experience that problem.  Maybe because I am going at a slower pace?  I don't know.
I will try it out and let you know how it goes.
Kim

Cassie W.
on 10/15/08 8:19 pm
Kim,

I've found it's easier to do the ice baths by starting with a little tepid water in the bottom of the tub and then adding the cold water/ice after I've sat down.  I wear a sweatshirt and sip on a cup of hot tea, which helps convince my head that I'm not so cold.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

puddin2day
on 10/16/08 2:57 am - Los Angeles, CA
Cassie,

That is an excellent idea. 

Thank you,
Kim

Most Active