When did you decide you could do it?

Seht
on 10/14/08 3:13 am

At what point in your exercise pattern did you decide you could do a 1/2 or full marathon.

I know that I want to be able to do one, but I don't feel like I am anywhere close to being able to do it physically.  I might be able to do 5k at the worlds slowest pace, but I just don't see 13 miles or 26 miles.  That is my goal, but when I really sit down and think about it, I'm just not the hero of my own story, I'm not sure I could really do 13-26 miles or a full triathlon.

Was there a progression for you, did you chose one of the training programs? 

I have my whole progression lined up, at least I think I do.  I'm just not sure I can do it based on my previous performance.
Super Sprint (done x2)
3k race (done)
5k race
Sprint Tri (550m/20k/5k)or longer
10k race
Olympic distance Triathlon(1.5k/40k/10k)
1/2 marathon
70.3 Triathlon (1.9k/90k/21.09k)
Full Marathon
Full Triathlon (3.8k/180k/42.2k)

Thanks

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Scott William
on 10/14/08 3:21 am
I signed up for my first marathon the same month that I finished my first 5K.  Running 3.1 miles straight let me know that I could do it.  You can too.  It may take 6,7 or 8 hours but it can be done.  Your goals are lofty but within reach.  Go for it!!!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/14/08 4:47 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Scott,

I once had a great Sales Leader who told me something that I think about everyday I train. He said..."Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right"! Before surgery, I had the I can't attitude....I can't fit in a booth, I can't fit on a plane, I can't coach my sons soccer team' I can't excercise everyday, etc.... These days, I am all about I can. I can do anything I want, it doesn't mean it will be easy, it just means I can and I will do whatever I set my mind to do. I challenge you to dig within yourself to reach whatever goals are right for you, and JUST DO THEM! Don't worry about other peoples' ideas or goals, set your own, then OWN those goals, and don't stop until you reach them. It doesn't matter when you do reach them, it's a matter that you DID reach them. Life and goals are not about perfection, it is about constant improvement! Have fun, beleive in yourself, and don't let anything stop you.

Today marks 9 months since surgery at 400 pounds. Today 221....Before could barely walk up the stairs to work....Yesterday, ran 10 miles in 1:42:00....I used to think I would never be able to walk a mile, I now know I am almost halfway to marathon distance, running. Shoot for the stars bro, and don't look back.....

-Dan

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MaryS
on 10/14/08 4:47 am - Long Island, NY
Scott,

I decided I would do a marathon as soon as I started running. I ran my first non-stop mile in Sept '05 and my first half marathon in April '06. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how quickly you progess. After you get to the 10k level, find a good training program and you'll be ready for a 1/2 marathon when the time comes.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/14/08 4:49 am - Fort Worth, TX
One other suggestion.....Put dates on your progression!

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 10/14/08 4:51 am - Dacula, GA
I decided as soon as I crossed the finish line of my first race.
puddin2day
on 10/14/08 5:45 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Scott,

I decided to do the LB 1/2 when I had crossed the finish line for the Santa Monica Classic 10K.  I had done the 10K (with lot of encouragement from my friends) after I had done some 5K's and had made a couple of PR's with those.  There is something magical when a person says to you, "A 10K is roughly one -fourth of a marathon". 

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

misstilly
on 10/14/08 6:35 am - Cosby, TN
I started running in late April and did my 1st 5K June 1.  I have done 3 of those with another one this coming weekend and a 8K the weekend following.  I am also planning on doing a 1/2 in March.  I think I first thought of doing a 1/2 after my 2 race.  I am nervous thinking about the training and all but excited too.  I know that I wil be able to do the 1/2.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 10/14/08 11:29 am - Missoula, MT
Scott,

I signed up for my first race not knowing if I could do it.  I signed up for  my first half not knowing if I could do it.  I signed up for my first tri thinking I MIGHT be able to finish the swim in time.  When I signed up for the marathon I knew I could do it even if I had to walk a lot, but I hadn't been running for over a year before I signed up.

I never knew what I was capable of until I truly faced it.  That's how I live.  I sign up and then work toward it.

Linn
Seht
on 10/14/08 1:31 pm
Thanks for all the insight, I guess i still see myself as 400+ and not capable of doing these events.  I guess it's time to start working on that self image.  It's probably going to keep me down.  I have been looking, and there isn't much happening locally until next Spring, so I have plenty of time to train and get ready for the next event.

Thanks for the comments

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active