Massage Question

Jean M.
on 10/14/08 7:54 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Yesterday, the instructor who did my morning fitness class (and who pushes herself as a personal trainer at my health club) said that getting a massage more often than once a month is bad for you because it breaks down some kind of "lining" around your muscles?!

Huh?

I've been getting a massage every 2 weeks for a few months now.  It makes me feel great, helps ease the knots in my back and neck, and I don't think it makes any difference to my body's general health.

Have you ever heard anything like this?  Is this valid?

I don't want to hurt my body, but I can't imagine that a massage every 2 weeks could really hurt me.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

cbrock1592
on 10/14/08 11:49 am - New Haven, CT
Both my personal trainer and dieticain recommended that I see a massage therapist 2x a month.

I don't think it will hurt.  It should help.

Christine
band date: August 1, 2007
Band Removal Date:  Sept 30, 2008
Highest Weight: 355 lbs
Day of Surgery: 231 lbs
Current Weight: 185 lbs

Scott William
on 10/15/08 1:53 am
I have heard of elite marathon runners who employ thir own massage therapists.  I would say that what your instructor said was hog wash.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
TaliTali
on 10/15/08 8:39 am - Sammamish, WA
They may have been talking about the fascia around your muscles but it isn't problematic to have consistent and regular massage.

If it was .. then I'd be in trouble! I went to massage therapy school for 9 months and receive several hours a day most of that time. :) I've NEVER heard anyone give that recommendation or advice.

It should be fine. ENJOY!
Most Active