My Long Beach 1/2 Marathon Experience

puddin2day
on 10/14/08 2:39 am - Los Angeles, CA
I had awaken around 4:30 am on Sunday morning and walked out the house by 5am.  I walked to the store to buy some powerade for my camelbak.  Then I proceeded to the red line and then to the blue line to Long Beach.  Once I got there (6:45 am), I called my friends Monica and Luana to see if they were there and they were.  I was ready to go--had my gloves, paper jacket (for warmth), my camelbak, salt packets, Gu, powerade and the will to survive this monumental feat.
I had seen Lu and her friend Cindy first, then I caught up with Monica in corral C.  We took a few pictures, I filled my camelbak (whi*****luded 3 salt packets) & went to look for a trash can.  When I came back about 10 minutes later, I had the hardest time getting through because it was getting closer to the start time.  The Star Spangled Banner was sung by a lady with a pretty voice.  The horn went off at 7:30am.  I felt like we were a herd of buffalo because we were moving so slowly.  It did not help that I had ankle soreness within a quarter of the first mile.  For the first 3 miles,  we had only one side of the street to run on, so things were congested.  We had a cut off time at mile 4 at 8:30am.  Just as I was passing, the cones to block traffic were being taken up.  Whew, that was close.   I know I was doing 15 min miles.  There was a slight incline around miles 2 and 3, but it did not affect me much.  The route was beautiful-- nice neighborhoods, the bike path and several miles of the beach.  The weather was awesome, sunny but not too warm with the ocean breeze.  I was running when I was supposed to (most of the time).  I have to talk to someone (maybe my dr.or someone in sports medicine) in regards to increasing my lung capacity.  Sometimes I would be out of breath and I would have to walk during part of my run intervals.  At some point during the race, we had to loop around on the course.  At that point, I could see other participants running and walking behind me.  That made my feel good to know that I was not the slowest person (especially running) in the race.  Other than that, things did not go south for me until mile 10.  That is when my right leg started cramping.  All I could do was walk, no matter what interval I was on, until the pain subsided. 
I cannot remember at what mile, but I had seen Kevin, Kirsten and Liz.  I was walking and I heard these people yelling my name.  I waved and then I started to run again.  I was pumped for a few minutes.  Seeing them made me smile.  Around mile 11, I had seen an older lady moving at a steady pace and I was giving her some encouragement.  Little did I know that she was a lady that goes to my brother's church (Patsy).  I was pleasantly surprised.  We talked for a minute, then she told me to continue  my race (she was going much slower that me).  As the miles passed, I became happier and happier because I was getting closer to the finish line. 
I finished in 3 hours, 14 minutes and 43 seconds. 
Would I do it again?  In a heartbeat!  As a matter of fact, I plan of signing up for the Inaugural Pasadena Half Marathon on November 16th.  I will always do Long Beach.  Lots of sweat, lots of fun and lots of work, but it was all worth in the end.
This is the end of my my Long Beach Half Marathon Race Report.

I hope you enjoyed it.

Kim
Without struggle, there is no progress.

Seht
on 10/14/08 3:02 am
Wow that was a great report, thanks for sharing it with us.  Congrats on your success!

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

puddin2day
on 10/14/08 3:03 am - Los Angeles, CA
Glad you enjoyed it.  Thank you.

Scott William
on 10/14/08 3:25 am
Way to go Kim.  It is funny how a finish line 2 miles ahead is such a nice thought.  Way to go in the finish!
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
puddin2day
on 10/14/08 3:26 am - Los Angeles, CA

Thank you so much , Scott.

MaryS
on 10/14/08 4:43 am - Long Island, NY
Kim,

What a great job! Sounds like you had lots of fun along the way (despite some of the challenges). I loved reading your report.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

puddin2day
on 10/14/08 4:44 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thank you, Mary.  I did have fun.

misstilly
on 10/14/08 6:41 am - Cosby, TN
Congrats Kim on your 1/2.  Great report way to go signing up for another one.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

puddin2day
on 10/14/08 6:44 am - Los Angeles, CA
Thank you , Sue.  For Pasadena, I want a PR.

Linn D.
on 10/14/08 11:17 am - Missoula, MT
Way to go Kim!

Thanks for sharing!  I love to hear how well you're doing.

Can't wait to hear about the next one!

Linn
Most Active