Opinions Please Part 2 - Decision Made

MaryS
on 10/13/08 10:45 pm - Long Island, NY
I have decided not to run run the marathon this year. My knee is a little off and my physical therapist seemed happy when I told him I wasn't going to run. In addition to the knee problem we also have a lot of issues going on at home. We've had to move out of our apartment due to an extremly difficult situation with our neighbor. Between the neighbor situation and work stress my husband has been driven to the brink of a breakdown. With everything that is going on, I just don't have the emotional stamina to pull myself together and run 26.2 miles, especially given the situation with my knee.

This was probably one of the most difficult decisions I've made, but I do think it is the right one.

Now, I am planning to just enjoy my running without worrying about a big race. I think I can get away with runs up to 5 miles without doing too much damage; I'll just have to see how it goes. Now that I am not running the marathon there is no sense in pushing things and doing more damage.

Thanks so much for your advice and support!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Scott William
on 10/13/08 11:24 pm
I don't think that there is any question that marathon training is a pain in the ass.  It is something that you can pull together for 4-6 months to say that you have done it.  It is also something that you can do if you have lots of extra time.  It is really tough to get motivated for the second, third and fourth without having a good reason.  I am running the Goofy again in Jan and I may do Hyannis at the end of Feb just to see what kind of time I can muster with proper training and not having a half the day before.  After that I am hanging them up for a while.  I will still do the 5K circut and try to keep in 10K shape.  Right now I am sitting, fully dresses in running clothes putting off my 15 miler.  I cant think of anything I rather do less right now than this. 

Life gets in the way and marathon training is a big commitment.  Back off the milage and see what happens.  If you are miserable without having a marathon scheduled, rethink the situation.  I personally think that it will be a load off the mind.

Stick around here though.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MaryS
on 10/14/08 4:52 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks Scott! I do plan on sticking around, everyone is great on this board! I'm so glad there's none of the drama you see on some other boards.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Elisa K.
on 10/13/08 11:56 pm - Lumberton, NJ

I'm sorry that you've had to make this tough decision, but your physical and mental health is what is most important!  

Take care of yourself and the hubby!!

MaryS
on 10/14/08 4:53 am - Long Island, NY
Thanks Elisa!

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Rob S.
on 10/14/08 5:44 am - DE
Mary,
You have always been one of the inspirations on this board.  Your first journal of your marathon was awesome.  So keep after it, and keep us involved.  At least you can fall back on your accomplishments until you do your next race.   Let your body heal and find out what you enjoy doing.  Maybe find some cross-training like cycling. 

I am just finding out what a commitment this marathon training involves.  My running partner has no mercy.  We're scheduled for 15 on Saturday.  I seem to live with aches and pains all weekend anymore.  The problem is that I can't let my wife know, cause she'll just tell me to cut back on the training.

Keep the faith.  Everything usually has a way working out for the best.
Rob
MaryS
on 10/15/08 12:25 pm - Long Island, NY
Thanks Rob. I do believe you are right when you say that things have a way of working out. It's hard to see it right now, but I am sure it is true. Good luck with that 15 on Saturday.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Linn D.
on 10/14/08 11:02 am - Missoula, MT
Wow, Mary!

I didn't realize there was that much going on!!

Not running sounds like it's the best thing for you right now, and I give you my full support.  I know you like to run, but you need to have your body able to do it with/for you.

Whatever you decide to do in the future remains to be seen, but we know it'll be the best decision for you.

Linn
MaryS
on 10/15/08 12:28 pm - Long Island, NY
Linn,

Thanks. Yes, there is lots going on. However, I am still running. I not ready to give it up - I need those endorphines - I'm hooked now! I'm just going to limit it to no more than 5 miles or so for a little while and give my knee a little bit of a rest.

Mary

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Cassie W.
on 10/14/08 8:31 pm
Hi Mary,

I'm sorry to hear about all the other stressors in your life.  Moving is stressful enough in the best of cir****tances.  Without the pressure of training for a big race, you will be able to just get out there and run for the sheer joy of it.   That'll be a refreshing break while things settle down in your life and your knee heals. 

Take care. 
Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active