Saturday Workouts

jon1970
on 10/11/08 9:01 am
I ran 9 miles today. As usual I was slow 1:47:33  but I RAN 9 MILES TODAY!

I am begining to get scared. I have been following a training plan for the R&R marathon in Phoenix but didnt think there was a chance of keeping up with it. I do not have a running foundation my first five K was in May and before that the longest I had ever run was 2 miles.

So should I go for it? Any advice is welcome.
DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/11/08 9:19 am - Fort Worth, TX
Like a penguin....Until you spread your wings, you will never know how far you can run. I say go for it!

Today: 28 mile ride followed by a 5.50 mile run in 48 Minutes +/-

Have a good one,
-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 10/11/08 1:08 pm - Missoula, MT
I was supposed to do 11 miles today, but was feeling pretty rough so I went 30 minutes and will try again tomorrow.  I'll take some NSAIDS before I go tomorrow.

As far as the RNR AZ goes, as long as you can keep with the plan you'll do fine.  I did my first last January and when I started my training I hadn't run in about a year and a half because of a hamstring pull that I could never quite get over.  I was still in decent shape because I diid a lot of spinning, but I was really slow when I began my training (5.5 on the tread).  I'm doing an intermediate plan this year and hope to finish in under 4:30, but last year's 5:35 was fine because I finished!

Best of luck to you, Jon.  I'm sure you'll be able to make it.  I did and didn't have a running base at the time.  It's a great race.  It is extremely well run and people line the entire course.  I hope you go for it.  It's a great experience!

Linn
panhead58fl
on 10/11/08 5:51 pm - Barboursville, WV
Ran 13 + miles today, I'm not sure of the exact distance because my watch died on me. I have a Garmin 405 and I thought it would make it, but should have recharged it.  The last time I looked it was at some where close to 11.5 miles. I had planned out the distance so I knew how much I had left, so I added a little to it just to make sure. What ever the exact distance I ran it in just a shade under 2 hours. 1:58.

Today I had some thing happen for the first time, I think I actually felt a runners high. At mile 9 I was calculating where I was and if I was going to make it under 2 hours at my current pace and decided to pick it up because it was going to be close. I had slowed to about a 11:00 mile, don't know where it came from but I picked it up to a 8:50 for the next 2 miles and was maintaining between that and 9:00 till my watch died. During this 2 miles I think I actually got the so called runners high. I had goose pimples and and got this rush that I had never felt before. I have had runs where every thing just seemed to go right and I really got into it, but nothing like what happened today.

No cramps today, I did what coach Sherry told me and hydrated. Took in 20 oz. during the run and even had to stop to take a whiz but still stayed under 2 hours.

pan head
Rob S.
on 10/12/08 5:18 am - DE

I ran another one of my training runs yesterday.  11 miles in 2 hours 6 minutes.   The first six miles were fine and felt pretty good, but I had a lot of hip pain for the next couple of miles which I have figured out was due to running on the sidewalk instead of the road.  Once I got back one road I was able to finish.  Had to run today without my running partner which was a drag, because I find it hard to figure out my own pace, but since she won't be with me at Disney I need to learn to pace myself. 
Rob

Most Active