Cold Weather Running

rreiny
on 10/10/08 3:24 am - Epsom, NH
I am fairly new to running and there is a fun race on 1/1/08, the Hangover Classic, in NH that I want to run.  I have not run in cold weather- I have only run in the spring/summer. I recall running before in cold weather realy hurt my lungs, but I assume (or hope) that was because I just ran and I was not training in cold weather.  Two questions:

1.  What do you wear so as not to be too hot or too cold in cold weather
2.  Any suggestions as to learning to run in cold weather - do your lungs get used to the cold

FYI:  The average temp in NH in Jan will be about 30-35.

Thanks for the info.
Scott William
on 10/10/08 7:31 am
If you are training outside, you will get used to it.  It will be no problem.  The only time I notice an issue is when I really exert myself at like 85-90%  Then it doesn't matter what the temperture is, It still feels cold.

When dressing for a race, dress like it's 15-20 degrees warmer than it is.  If it is 35, dress like you normally would at 50-55.  I have never run a race and wished I had worn warmer clothes.  You always warm up more than you think. 
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Sherry_Berry
on 10/10/08 7:35 pm - Dacula, GA
You want to run in something that will allow your skin to breathe and not hold moisture. Cotton is ROTTON!

In NH you'll also need something to block wind...cold is one thing...windy cold is another.

A lot of cold weather folks LOVE the Tough Girl and Ice Queen from skirt sports. I have the tough girl as it doesn't get too cold in Atlanta...40 is as low as it usually gets.

The Ice Queen has a thin fleece liner, blocks wind and repels water(I think)

I have a skirt discount code I'm allowed to hand out: SHERRYC
skirtsports.com

Another FABULOUS things about the tough girl or ice queen is you can sport them around town! They're totally cute and slimming! I wear mine out all the time! Try to venture into the mall in black running tights....NOT!
puddin2day
on 10/13/08 1:27 pm - Los Angeles, CA

Sherry,
Thanks for the tip.

Kim

Without struggle, there is no progress.

rreiny
on 10/13/08 10:54 pm - Epsom, NH
Thanks for the tips! 
Most Active