Certain way to jog?

karen_2007
on 10/7/08 2:27 am - Hamburg, AR
Hi all! I have a question about jogging. I have been doing a walk and jog video for the last 4 months. I tried jogging outside, but it seems to hurt my knees when I jog and I get tired a lot easier. Is there a certain method to learning how to jog? I know it sounds silly, but I've always wanted to jog/run, but my weight stopped me. I am now down to 204 lbs and want to start jogging the correct way. I've been walking 2-2 1/2 hrs a day to get in a good amount of exercise, but it takes too much time out of my day. I think jogging would benefit me in more than one way. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance!
Karen
Linn D.
on 10/7/08 2:55 pm - Missoula, MT
Karen,

A lot of local running clubs offer coaching for newbies.  That's something you might want to look into.

Walking is good, but running really is a whole new gig.  It might be a good idea to see an orthopedic surgeon to be sure it's okay to run.  Sometimes they can help you with your gait as well, or send you to a PT who can.  I started running when I was about your weight.  I used to have a lot more knee pain than I do now, but I've also been running for quite a while.

The shoes will make all the difference in the world.  The right shoe for your foot and gait will help prevent a lot of injuries because it provides support where you need it so your foot strike will be correct.  A good running store can help you figure this out because they will watch you walk or run and suggest shoes accordingly.  Using the wrong shoe could be one thing causing your knee pain.  The money spent on the right shoes is well worth it.

Running on the road IS different, and much harder than you'd think it would be if you've been doing videos.  It just takes a little while to build up the endurance.  Try a couch to 5k or walk to jog program.  There are lots of free online programs that will help with this, and most are 12-weeks.  I run on treadmills most of the time, and do feel a difference when I do road races.  It's okay, just different, and I'm used to it by now.

Running is a GREAT fitness activity and something that once you get used to and build up some endurance you could really come to love as many others on this board have.

Hope this helps you some.  If you have any other questions, there are lots of runners on this board who would be happy to help.

Linn
Scott William
on 10/8/08 9:27 pm
Your body is pissed at you.  For years you have not made it do much.  Now you want it to jog?  It will take some time to teach your body that it's okay to do a little.  Like Linn said, the couch to 5K is a great start.   Go real easy.  The first day you may only jog 50 yards.  That's fine.  Tomorrow do 60.  Before you know it, you will be at a mile and farther and you will have tricked your body into it.  Too much, too soon will almost always lead to setbacks or injuries.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Most Active