Have a few questions, hope someone can help me

ScottAZ
on 10/7/08 2:40 am - Charleston, WV
To start off i am about  14 weeks post op with rny. 
I am exercising 6 days a week. I start the day off with a ride on my bicycle to the gym 5.0 miles, then will walk 2.25 miles on the tred mill, followed by 45 min of weight training and then the bicycle ride back home another 5.0 miles.

I am strugling to get in around 900 cals a day in. I am eatting every 2 hrs. I have been noticeing that i am tired most of the time.  Am I doing to much Exercing for what i am eating? Can some one please help me..

Thank you

Nov 2007 start 6 month diet at 380 lbs 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/7/08 3:30 am - Fort Worth, TX
How much protein are you taking in?
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

ScottAZ
on 10/7/08 3:37 am - Charleston, WV
Dan I am getting around 120-135 grams of protein per day, with around a gallon of water

donnainhouston
on 10/7/08 3:24 am, edited 10/7/08 3:32 am - League City, TX

Of course I'm no doctor, but I have some challenges in this area too. Recently I was told I was over training.  I was following a pretty stringent workout routine, and like you I was weightlifting, cycling and treadmill/jogging.  I take warm-ups and cool-downs very seriously; as seriously as I take using proper form when lifting -- so I never short-cut these areas.

In my experience with over training, I couldn't sleep.  I was tired all the time.  Add to that I began to see that I would injur myself more frequently, doing things I've always done.  I was super, super tired all the time.  I would have never consiered over training, because I was getting my "day of rest" succeeding hard weightlifting workouts.

The good news is I took somewhat of a break and just let everything go, except walking on the treadmill everyday.  I made sure I ate quality calories and 8 hours of sleep a night.  After a couple weeks I felt like a champ again.

You know when somethig isn't right for your body.  Listen to it.  Regardless of anyone else's expereince if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.  It's not like you can't train hard again. It's just sometimes the body needs a break.  An hour on a bike, going 14 to 16 mph will burn more than you eat in a day, so be careful!

Donna

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/7/08 3:51 am - Fort Worth, TX
It could be overtraining, but another question I have is how many carbs are you taking in a day? Idealy, you should have a 4 to 1 ratio on carbs to protein (If you are training to be an athlete). So, for every 20g protein shake, you would need 80 carbs, which equates to a bag of dorritos! I don't recommend the dorritos, but some fruit, 100% juices, my personal fav...peanut butter, and pastas / oatmeal for your energy giving complex carbs. Everyone's body is different, so listen to yours, and ALWAYS be sure to take your B12, multi, calcium, etc... As you continue lifting, I recommend thinking about supplements....Creatine, glutamine, nitric oxide, also some fish oil (Omegas), and some form of antioxidant as well. Best of luck my brother! 9 Months ago I was 400 pounds, today 222 and am into triathlon now and am training for a full ironman distance next year.

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

ScottAZ
on 10/7/08 4:03 am - Charleston, WV
Dan thats is great with you weight loss.. My highest last Nov was 370 and as of today I am 226.8...I have been using fitday.com to log everything.. I have entered everything i will eat today and i am at 138.0 grams proteing/60 grams protein/26.8 grams fat...

donnainhouston
on 10/7/08 4:42 am - League City, TX

When I'm training for a specific event, I do try to get more calories in.  Max is around 1600 and the breakdown is usually like this:

190 g Protein (approximately 50%)
134 g Carbs (approximately 35%)
32 g. Fat (approximately 15%)

Vitamins:
Flinstones Complete (am and pm)
Biotin
B-12 Sublingual Dot
Chewable Calcium Citrate with Mag and Vit D
CorOmega Fish Oil (am and pm)

I totally know that I'm not getting enough carbohydrates.  I'm not training to be a competitive athlete; just like finishing.  :) I've done the MS150 and a couple triathlons now.  I'm still needing to lose weight and it seems my body has adapted pretty quickly; weight loss is hard work now and it doesn't come off unless I limit my fat/carbs. 

As you say, everyone is different.  I was told by a professional that the combination of not being able to sleep and repeated injury are two tell-tale signs of overtraining... so take it for whatever its worth.

Congrats on your success this far!  My high was 347 and I'm at 212 now. 

Donna :)

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever." Lance Armstrong

Linn D.
on 10/7/08 9:35 am - Missoula, MT
Scott,

I think you're just not eating enough - particularly not enough carbs.  I'm a 155# (18% body fat) 42-year old woman and I eat 1800 cals a day.  Like Dan, I try to get a 4:1 carb:protein so I can fuel and recover.  I can't begin to tell you how much that improved both my overall energy level as well as my workouts. 

I've been running for quite a while, started doing tris this summer, and am training for a marathon in January, so I am also very active.

I think it's really important that you eat!  So many bariatric nutritionists don't know how to deal with those of us who've made exercise a real part of our post-op lifestyles.

Linn

Most Active