opinions please

MaryS
on 10/6/08 9:50 pm - Long Island, NY
The NYC marathon is 3 1/2 weeks away.  I have not been able to train the way I would have liked.  I've been holding back on distance on a couple of my long runs due to a knee problem that is trying to surface.  The problem is not getting any worse - I've been going to PT.  The last couple of weeks I've been sick, and having been running as much and missed my long run last weekend.  So now instead of anticipating a better time than last year, I'd be lucky to do as well.  I feel a certain amount of commitment to doing the marathon because I've done fund raising with Fred's Team for cancer research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center here is NY.  Fred's Team will let me apply my fund raising towards the marathon next year, so I can still run with them next year.

So, how wimpy is it not to run the marathon this year?  MY dh supports my decision, his concern is that he is afraid I'll allow some of the road blocks that have prevented me from training to derail me completely.  I don't think that is the case - I love running and the way it makes me feel too much for that.  I do see another marathon in my future, I'm just not sure it should be in 3 1/2 weeks.  So, to all my runner friends out there, what would you do????

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

wjoegreen
on 10/6/08 11:49 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Keep rehabbing and wait an make a game time decision.  While your wind may not be optimal, your body is trained from all you've done if you can just do enough to maintain.  If you can't then its really your call either way.  I would say listen to your body and if you want to go but not worry about breaking records, have a great time.  If you feel you will only injury yourself further, its better to save it for another day.  There will be other events.  I'll look forward to your post race pictures.  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Rob S.
on 10/7/08 1:10 am - DE
On October 7, 2008 at 4:50 AM Pacific Time, MaryS wrote:
The NYC marathon is 3 1/2 weeks away.  I have not been able to train the way I would have liked.  I've been holding back on distance on a couple of my long runs due to a knee problem that is trying to surface.  The problem is not getting any worse - I've been going to PT.  The last couple of weeks I've been sick, and having been running as much and missed my long run last weekend.  So now instead of anticipating a better time than last year, I'd be lucky to do as well.  I feel a certain amount of commitment to doing the marathon because I've done fund raising with Fred's Team for cancer research at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center here is NY.  Fred's Team will let me apply my fund raising towards the marathon next year, so I can still run with them next year.

So, how wimpy is it not to run the marathon this year?  MY dh supports my decision, his concern is that he is afraid I'll allow some of the road blocks that have prevented me from training to derail me completely.  I don't think that is the case - I love running and the way it makes me feel too much for that.  I do see another marathon in my future, I'm just not sure it should be in 3 1/2 weeks.  So, to all my runner friends out there, what would you do????
Mary,
You know your body best.  You have done enough of these events to know that there is only another one around the corner.  I wouldn't worry to much about the derailers.  You are a fighter and have already accomplished so much, I just can't see you tossing running aside.  Plus you love running, so you'll keep coming back.  I would err on the side of being extremely careful and following the advice of your PT.  If you bag this one, there will be more down the road, but if you injure yourself you may be out of commission for awhile. 
It's much easier to give advice than to take it sometimes (speaking as one who has just finished up with my PT while running through the therapy).
Rob
Kevin A.
on 10/7/08 3:27 am - Bombay, CA
RNY on 08/21/06 with
If I felt I could not complete the marathon or do more damage to my knee I would not run. But if I thought I could finish I would run.

I guess I'm no help.. Sorry!!
 "You have to be uncompromised in your level of commitment to whatever you are doing, or it can disappear as fast as it appeared." ~Michael Jordan~
Kirsten :-)
on 10/7/08 5:11 am - Agoura Hills, CA
If you feel able to do it, then do it!  You might suprise yourself.  I was talking to my mom (the ultra runner) not too long ago about this.  She was in training for a 50 mile race and came down with Pnumonia.  She was too sick to run for over 8 weeks.  She recovered finally and decided to try to do as much of the race as she could.  Let's just say there is something about muscle memory and FRESH muscles.  She got her PR that race when she didn't think she'd be able to finish.  If you're up to it...go for it!
misstilly
on 10/7/08 5:55 am - Cosby, TN
I say don't make a decision until you absoulutly have too. Listen to what you body is telling you when it gets closer to the marathon. If you feel you can't do it then don't there are other marathons and you might feel better about the next one.

Sue

215/210/117/120
HW/SW/CW/GOAL  I'M AT MY GOAL

Linn D.
on 10/7/08 9:03 am - Missoula, MT
If I made the commitment, I'd probably do it regardless of how miserable I might be afterward.  I realize you haven't done all your long runs, but you've been running all along and you're pretty well trained.  There are some times you just don't worry about the time and completing is enough. 

There IS always a next one, so at this point, since you can apply the fundraising to next year, see what the knee is doing and go from there.  I don't think fitness is an issue, if that's what you're worried about.

We here support you in whatever decision you make as well!  We all know you have to do what's best for you.

Linn
Cassie W.
on 10/7/08 11:07 am
Mary,

I waited until the last minute to make my decision to forgo the Wineglass Marathon.  In the end, I was afraid to risk further injury and knew there will be another marathon in my future.  My doc's advice was the deal breaker.

Given your scenario, I would talk to the PT for an opinion on the knee.  If the knee was up for the distance and I had gotten in at least one 18-miler, I would choose to run and adjust my goal.  If the PT says, err on the side of caution, there's always next year.

It's not about being wimpy.  It's about running smart.  In this month's Runner's World, there's a quote from Richard Hillestad, a 66-year old from Tpanga, California, finisher of more than 75 marathons and ultras.  He said, "When I was 37, I pulled a groin muscle, and I tried to run through it.  A friend asked, 'You have to decide:  Are you going to run for the next two weeks or for the rest of your life?' That's been my philosophy ever since."  I think his friend was very wise.

Running is part of you now.  I'm sure you have the base to finish if you're knee is up for it.  And if it's not, you'll set your sights on another goal and get back into the swing of things.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active