Too big for C25K? Thoughts?

Yelena K.
on 10/6/08 11:20 am - Plymouth, MN
I am 65lbs down and still losing... but was wondering if, at my current weight, you think I am too big to do the Couch to 5K program.

I am trying to motivate myself to walk/run so I want to sign up for a 5K and do the program. I have read a few things online though that running can really hurt the knees/ankles for people who still have a lot to lose.

Thoughts? I feel like at my age I could do it... AND it would help me lose weight. But I also don't want to cause injury to my joints.

Thanks!

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

saxman007
on 10/6/08 12:12 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Elana,
I didn't follow the coach to 5K program -- I just started running.  I remember the first time I tried to run was @ a track and I made it the length of the straight-a-way.  After the end of the night I was able to get half-way around the track.  That was around last Christmas.  After that I started adding running to my walking.  Mind you I was walking 5 miles every night.  Let your body tell you what to do.  My first 5K wasn't until May and I loved it.  Good luck, and be careful:  I NEVER liked running growing up and now I'm in love with it -- even looking forward to my first marathon in 13 days!
--Sax
Yelena K.
on 10/6/08 12:26 pm - Plymouth, MN
Thanks for the reply! I guess I will just listen to my body and see where it takes me.

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

Elisa K.
on 10/6/08 9:45 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Hi Elena:
I don't see why you couldn't do the program.  I would suggest that you go to a running store, and get fitted for running shoes.  I think the proper shoes, along with a good sports bra, will make all the difference. 

I started running this past March, and I LOVE it!!  I hope that you find as much pleasure in it as I do!!
Shannon O.
on 10/7/08 12:05 am - Reading, PA
I have been told never to run if you are over 200 pounds... because of that extra weight jarring your joints... now I don't know how tall you are but I'm only 5'2" and I am going to weight till I hit 180... but start with the walking part... you can do that at any size... and I know on the PA boards that a lot of them do the walking 5k events...

Good luck...

DANCBJAMMIN
on 10/7/08 3:40 am - Fort Worth, TX
I weigh 220 pounds and run 25+ miles a week, no joint problems. Listen to your body as everyone else said. Don't put your body in distress, but try it and see how you do, best of luck. I started running a few months ago when I was still 275+ pounds. You will do great!

-Dan
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Kate U.
on 10/7/08 1:46 am, edited 10/7/08 1:46 am - Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hey girl,

I totally think you should do it. Even if you can just do walk/run intervals, the running makes it sooo much more effective. I was on week one of the C25k and I pulled my hamstring (not running related) so I'm benched for a while but I LOVED it. Sooo much better than just walking, even when was just running 90 second intervals or however long. And I haver knee problems previous ACL repair, etc and I really didn't have discomfort. Just take it easy. Jog. Go slow. Try not to cause a lot of jarring action on your knees. If you're feeling any pain, transition into a very brisk walk. Remember that with the C25k there's no rush and you can repeat weeks for as long as you need.

I would say go for it :)
Seht
on 10/7/08 8:22 am, edited 10/7/08 8:23 am
I started my couch 2 5k at over 400 pounds.  Since most of it is walking in the beginning, it was easy to get into it.
Just listen to you body, and if you have to, just repeat each wee****il you can do it easily.   Nothing says it has to be a race or that you can't adjust it to your bodies needs.

good luck

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Darrell H.
on 10/18/08 11:09 pm - Sinton, TX

What exactly is the couch to 5K program?

Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Yelena K.
on 10/19/08 4:49 am - Plymouth, MN
Most Active